Male cat having urinary problems

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning I woke up to find two places where my cat vomited up a little bit of food and wheatgrass. This isn’t unusual, because I let him have a little bit of wheatgrass every once in a while and he usually vomits it up with feed and hair. Then I noticed some droplets in a couple places around the house. He was also yelling a lot, but that wasn’t unusual because in the morning he always yells at me to take him outside on a walk. Naom then peed on a blanket we had on our couch, and that’s when I realized something was wrong. I took him into the bathroom where we keep a litter box, and watched him for an hour. He seems to pee a lot, but doesn’t quite make it to the litter box. On the way to the litter box he drips pee on the floor. I know I have to take him to the vet, but I don’t know how I’m going to afford it. Only a month ago I had to take my other cat to the emergency vet and I now owe my parents $3,000 for paying for her vet bills. I wasn’t able to find a job last month and I also got the coronavirus. My symptoms have gone away and I am getting tested next week to make sure I don’t have it anymore. I literally have zero dollars to my name, and I don’t know what to do. I took in these cats promising my parents that I would take care of and pay for everything, and I have until now. I had two jobs when I was 16, and payed for vaccinations, spay and neuter surgeries, food, litter, toys, and the occasional vet bills. I graduated high school this year but I’m still 17, so finding a job is so hard. I applied to 20 different places, and have an interview next week. I just don’t know what to do. I love my cats and want the best for them, but these vet bills are just too much. I can’t ask any relatives for help because we don’t have any here in America. The ones we do have in Ukraine rely on us to help them. I don’t really have any friend either. Sorry for the rant about my life. I just feel so guilty for using so much of my parents money when I promised to take care of my cats.
Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this with their cat. What tests or other things did they do, what could be the diagnosis, maybe give me an estimate for how much it might cost. Thanks for your help in advance, this community always has good advice.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no vet, but I'm guessing Naom has some kind of urinary tract issue - most likely an infection or urinary crystals (bladder stones). The sooner you get him to a vet, the better. The longer you wait the more expensive treatment may become. If it is crystals, leaving it untreated could mean surgery. He's clearly in pain, and needs help.

I'm so sorry you've had covid, and that you're in such a difficult position financially. I really do sympathise, but this isn't something that can wait.

As for a likely cost, that's impossible to say without knowing what's wrong or what your vet charges. I hope you're able to find a way to work this out and help your boy :crossfingers::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just took a closer look at his butt, and it seems like the fluid isn’t pee. It’s not coming from his penis, it’s coming from his anus. It is clear and a little mucusy. I tried to look up what it might be and I couldn’t find anything. It’s not his anal glands, because there is too much fluid for that. I’m really confused as to what it is. Our vet isn’t open today, they open tomorrow so I will take him in then, but for now I need some advice on what is going on?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm...that has me stumped, I'm afraid. Its not something I've any experience with. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you. I still advise getting Naom to the vet at the earliest opportunity.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, by the way, maybe try and collect some of the fluid (close in time to the appointment) just in case they can't obtain any from him, so that they have something to work with for testing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry about your virus and the difficulties financially. Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you some possible options regarding the expenses.

It could still be due to his anal glands, but it might also represent other problems such as parasites, bacterial overgrowth, colitis, or even tumors. How is he doing otherwise? Is he pooping?

You could ask the vet if bringing in a sample of the drainage - and, any poop you can find would be a good way to start. It would be a bit less expensive than a vet visit. Most vets will take samples without seeing a cat for testing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry about all of this as well. Tell your vet upfront where you are financially; evidently you are a good cat owner as you just took care of your other cat at great expense. Whatever you pay has to be used very wisely and get you to a diagnosis as quickly as possible.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure he has enough water to drink. You don't want him to get dehydrated. If he doesn't drink enough, add a little to his food. Make a slurry of it. Taking a sample in to the vet is a good idea, and won't cost so much.

You're a kitty hero for taking care of him in this troubling time.

WhiteAilly

Cat Island
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very sorry for all you are going through...
When you say, Naom pees a lot, how much of actual pee comes out? Always just droplets? When a cat has UTI, they want to pee so they try to pee but not much comes out and sometime it is pink due to blood in the urine. When our cat Jazzi had UTI, our vet told us never to feed him any hard food, but put him on the wet food diet with added water to the food itself, which we did. They kept him all day to give him IV fluid and send him home with the home Subcutaneous fluid kit. He got better quickly. It was years ago and the bill was like $500. He passed away last week at the age 19. We miss him very much.
FYI, If Naom was peeing a lot of amount frequently, it could mean Kidney issues. Cats drink a lot and then pees a lot when they have Kidney disease. UTI or Kidney issues, hydration is very important. The home subcutaneous fluid kit is more economical than having it done at the vet office. It's not difficult to administer. You should look into it. But first hope you can somehow get him to the initial consultation with a vet and make sure he get hydrated well asap. If your parents can help you again, that will be nice. Your parents are obviously wonderful people to help you with your other cat's ER bill. $3000 is a lot of money.
Remember, for any parents, money is never an issue when it comes to their children. Of course this does not mean that children can take advantage of their parents, but you are not asking money for yourself. You are trying to save your kitty. You sound like a very caring and responsible person, I'm sure you took after your parents. Until you can actually pay them back, which I'm sure you will, you can still show your appreciation in many different ways such as offering to do some odd jobs around the house after your covid is completely cleared. Please take great care of yourself and Naom.

WhiteAilly

Cat Island
Kitten
Purraise
oh... I didn't see the update posts before my previous post.
That's strange. But glad to know you are taking him to a vet tomorrow. Good luck!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See if there is a low cost vet clinic in your area. Not a spay / neuter one, just a regular vet clinic. Your local SPCA, animal shelters and rescues may have info on their web site or just call and ask.