Male Cat Got Catheter (advice Needed Asap)

liviafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yesterday i notice my cat wouldn't go to the kitty litter
he would sit there for 5 minutes and do nothing then lick himself after it
today i woke up and noticed he still hadn't gone to the kitty litter and that he wasn't his usual playful self. he was lethargic and could hardly walk so i decided i needed to take him to the vet asap
we went to the vet and i didn't know anything about what my cat was going through
the vet said he looked dehydrated and took a needle and took some urine out of my cats bladder
he tested it and said there was nothing wrong with it, then took an x-ray of my cats bladder
he showed me that the bladder was HUGE and full, and was pushing up on his intestines and that he would need a catheter
so i agreed to the catheter, and so he put my cat under anaesthesia and done what he needed to do, then after a while, he brought my cat back out still unconscious and then used another needle full of stuff to wake him up.
we put him into my cat carrier and i asked the vet some questions, he said that the cat has mucus blocking him from being able to urine and that he should be okay now, he didn't give me any other information other than that
so i brought him home. he has been sleeping mostly, still hasn't eaten or had water (we've tried putting a syringe in his mouth with water to hydrate him)
he has been releasing bits of urine with i think mucus because it has yellowish/greenish bits in it, but hasn't been doing it in he's kitty litter, he's been doing it wherever he has fallen asleep/is sitting (i've put towels under him and keep changing the towels), so basically he smells badly of urine right now
then the vet called my sister in law at 7:10pm (she put down her phone number at the vet when she took me) and told her that i would have to take my cat back in tomorrow to get a special diet to prevent kidney failure ?? and then i would have to go back next Wednesday as well
i feel like they should've kept my cat overnight with an IV if he was dehydrated?
has anyone else had this experience? can anyone give me advice? i'm extremely worried and anxious and i don't want to lose my cat because a vet couldn't give me the right information while i was there at the time
as you can tell i'm not thinking rationally because I'm so anxious
but anyways if anyone would have any information to help me that would be appreciated ASAP

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this because I know you are already really scared. I too am questioning why your vet did not keep your cat over night for treatment for this issue. Did your vet run any blood work to reach the decision that something is wrong with your cats kidneys? Did the vet do any tests to make sure this is not a UTI issue? If they did not run blood work to reach this conclusion then how was this decision made. One of my cats pee blocked from a UTI. He was in the ER for 3 days for fluids and the catheter. Based on my personal experience I would take your cat to another vet for a 2nd opinion. The first vet I took my cat to missed some stuff. He got a 2nd opinion from another vet my cat sitter uses. This 2nd opinion saved my baby's life. The bottom line here is if you are questioning what your vet told you then please get a 2nd opinion from a different vet. I also want to help calm you down a little bit. Yes I could have lost my cat but due to the 2nd opinion he made a full recovery. His kidney's actually started to shut down but he re-gained normal kidney function. You really do need blood work done to check if there is a kidney issue not just a decision based on an exam.

I have to leave soon for my own medical appointment. Please get a 2nd opinion from another vet for this issue today. I know how scary this issue is because I have been there. Do not let your fears overwhelm you here. A 2nd opinion will give you a better idea of what is going on and if your cat still needs to be treated for dehydration. This issue can be fixed but it needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible. I will be around later today after my medical appointment if you need to talk through things.

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Blocked cats are a nerve-racking thing to be going through, but hang in there, you need to stay calm for your buddy. In my experience, and from what I've read online, it's not that unusual for a kitty to be sent home the same night that he gets catheterized, but I don't like the fact that he didn't keep him overnight even though he was dehydrated; however, did you ask him if he gave him an IV fluid shot? That's not unusual either and some vets will do it in order to avoid keeping a kitty overnight -in non-life-threatening situations of course- both in order to avoid stressing out the cat and burdening you financially. It has happened to me and the vet advised me to bring my cat in the next day for a check-up and additional tests.

My boy didn't eat for 2-3 days while his catheter was in, but he did drink water and there was pee dripping all over, so I would suggest containing him in a room and trying to disinfect everything.

Did you get a urine culture done? That helps sort things out real fast; if its any type of infection they will know exactly what meds to prescribe and you'll be on the road to recovery in no time.

I would suggest a second opinion, just in case. I made the wrong call with my little guy and the vet messed up so bad that we ended up having a PU surgery after his first block; the vet thought that he was blocked because he tried to get urine via catheter for a urine sample (nobody does that, everyone does what your vet did, ie they do bladder paracentesis where the urine is extracted through a syringe), he catheterized him, destroyed his male parts in the process, damaged his urethra and his urethral canal, he developed a UTI which may have been idiopathic cystitis but maybe it was Pseudomonas from the catheter, then his urethral canal had scarring, drama drama drama, new vets, PU surgery, absolute success, happy kitty. I told you this because 1) vets do make mistakes just like human doctors and 2) if you act fast you can fix them. I don't know if your baby has anything related to the above in terms of cystitis, UTI's etc, but the thing is that you have to be alert and find the right vet for you and your cat. Blockages are scary and they need the proper care. If something doesn't feel right, it isn't. Go talk to another vet about it and have faith that everything will be fine. Fingers crossed for you and your boy :)