Male cat constantly in heat and annoyed that queen is about to give birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the individual male and how they are kept. I've been lucky to have some males that did not spray for several years while they were whole, could run the house and were pretty easy to keep as happy stud males with plenty of family interaction and enrichment. One of our males was a non sprayer until he was 10 years old. Even spraying males can be allowed to run the house part-time if breeders use stud pants.

Whole males tend to be very affectionate and love to be touched, so it's important to give them the physical affection that they crave. Our males have on the whole been very gentle and get lots of love from our whole family including our kids. We have a visiting male right now, and my daughter has been sleeping with him in our guest bedroom so that he doesn't get lonely.

Some breeders keep males in isolation without adequate attention, and that is an unhappy life... If a stud male cannot get the attention and affection he needs as a whole cat, or if he gets too hormonal to behave himself when getting affection from his owners, he should be neutered... but males kept as studs are not universally "tortured" and unhappy.
I agree. My entire male is not spraying at all, and he is very affectionate and friendly, and loves to spend time with us. He is even more affectionate than the female. He was happy to be separated when the kittens were there, but unfortunately, they are currently both a bit sad about the current separation. Male is sad because we are not with him for most of the time. Female is sad because she is missing the male.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he were neutered he could spend time with her. It sounds like they are bonded. This is what is so difficult with breeding.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
N Natuska By the way, is this the same male cat you said was mounting a 6 week old kitten in one of your prior threads???
For heavens sake if it is, PLEASE remove him from any other female you have in your home. He should not be around any of them unless for breeding purposes. If that was a different cat, all the more worse.