Male Cat Behavior/look/litter Box Changes After Neutering

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will have my 11 months old male cat neutered next week. He is not spraying, which is unusual, but his urine in the litter box has a VERY strong odor. He is also now more vocal and looks a bit anxious. What will be the changes to his behavior, looks, waste odor, and demeanor once he's neutered? I heard neutering will make cats become fat and lazy? I truly appreciate your responses.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience is that the urine smell goes way down in a couple of weeks as does the vocalization. As the mating hormones decrease, the kittenish, playful side reappears. Adequate mental stimulation and exercise are what keep cats from becoming lazy (boredom/depression) and fat.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys are both Neutered, and i think its the best for them. I think they are calmer, they loose a lot of the aggression that intact male cats have.

My guys are still very playful, i dont think it caused them to be lazy, and they still talk way more than my girls do..lol. And at his age i dont think it will cause him to look different. I think males who are neutered very young may not develop the masculine look of a male cat, as much as an intact male, or a male that is neutered at an older age like yours. I know its the thing now, to spay and neuter very young. But i like to see it happen somewhere 6 months to 1 year. my vet and i both agree on that. As long as the cat is indoors and not getting pregnant, or causing a pregnancy :)

They do say neutered cats need slightly less calories than a non neutered cat. But i think as with any cat, you just need to feed correctly for that cat. Fat is not a given just because a cat is spayed or neutered. And i do think the Urine smell is a lot lighter, my guys dont smell any more than my girls do.

All in all i only have positive thoughts about both spaying and neutering! :heartshape:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll just go back to the way he was before his hormones kicked in. He hasn't been hormonal very long so none of that has become a deeply entrenched habit.

Neutered males do need fewer calories than intact males. Also, he's at the age where he's losing his kitten metabolism and will need fewer calories anyway, so just make sure he isn't eating too much and everything will be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. Would neutering my male cat get rid of the stud tail grease as well? Is it true that my medium hair length Ragdoll cat will grow fluffier longer hair once neutered?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stud tail should go away, yes. I know there are some coat changes that happen after neutering in some breeds, but I don't know what happens to Ragdolls specifically. You could ask your breeder.