male cat 1 year plus is not friendly

laavanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is about one year plus. He is not active at all. He is always so scared of us. He doesn't come near to us. But we feed him. He comes to eat as soon as we go away. How can I make him to be friendly?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you provide a bit more information about the cat.  How long have you had him?  Where did he come from ( a stray, shelter, feral kitten)?  What have you tried so far?  How many people live in your home and try to interact with him?  Is he neutered?  Have you tried to play with him or sit quietly on the floor and interact with him? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laavanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually he was the kitten of my big cat. She brought him home after 3 months. Since then he was so scared and afraid if we try to near him. He usually rans off. But he eats at our home only. He seems to be very lonely and inactive. I'm worried about him. I have not tried anything much. Any idea?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, has he been to the vet for shots, worming and neutering?  These are all the very important.  Since he is very inactive you want to be sure he is ok.  Also neutering is a must.  Is your big cat ( the one who brought the kitten home) spayed?  Are these cats inside or outside cats?

The male may never be a social lap kitty as he is over a year old and has not had any socialization.  It gets harder and harder to socialize them as they get older, but it is not impossible.  It just takes work and dedication.

When you try to interact with the cat, sit on the ground at his level so you are not looming over him.  Do not give direct eye contact.  Try gazing over the top of his head or down to the ground.  He may find the direct eye contact frightening for now.  Sit and talk softly to him.  Bring a yummy delicious treat when you visit.  Something different that his usual food.  You can try canned tuna, salmon, a special cat treat, plain cooked chicken or even Gerber stage 2 baby food in chicken or turkey.  These are training tools and only offer a small amount.  They do not replace a meal.  When you come to visit him, offer a treat, he may not eat it at first in your presence, but he will learn to associate you with something good.  Do this every time.  Also when you leave the room, leave another small treat in a different spot.  Keep doing this.  It may take a week or a few weeks for him to get brave enough to come out.  You need the treat to be something special so he wants to come out. 

You can also try to entice him with a bit of play.  You can try a laser pointer.  Also just a simple shoe string or other sturdy piece of string hidden partially under  a towel.  Then start to pull the string out from under the towel.  Be sure he is watching.  It may take a bit to get him interested.

Just to be clear, this will take daily work.  Multiple times each day.  He can make progress, but he is so very scared right now.  It will take time and love.

Also please get him to a vet for a check up if he has not been. 

laavanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not spayed the big cat yet. Why? I have not brought him to the vet yet too. Because he doesn't comes near to me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not spayed the big cat yet. Why? I have not brought him to the vet yet too. Because he doesn't comes near to me.
If you are allowing the big cat(female) to either roam freely outside or be near the not neutered scared cat, you will have kitten after kitten after kitten.  Who will care for all of these kittens? 

laavanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No worries about that kittens. We used to give them to people whom loves cat to take care of them. The other kittens are doing good. Just that only this boy seems different. I was about to spay the mom cat but she was pregnant and she is missing now. I'm going around everywhere and looking for her. Hope she is safe. It has been a week since she is not back home.