Making the right decision

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I posted about a week ago about my cat going to the Er with fluid in his abdomen.

the ER vet told me she was very confident he had a cancerous mass that was in her words oozing and causing the fluid build up and to take him home for palliative care. I was given gabipentin. He seemed decent until I took him 4 days later to a normal vet for a second opinion and a timeline of when he would pass and they said they felt a abdominal mass. They gave me predlisone to try but I was basically told there was nothing else they could do.

I gave the the predlisone which he HATED for a day and a half. He’s basically shut down. So I stopped giving it to him. It’s been about 2 1/2 days since his last dose it’s almost like he’s zombie. He’s stopped eating and hasn’t used the litter box. I saw him take a few drinks of water but he’s basically just been under the bed.

my question is do you think the prednisone triggered this or is the cancer just taking over? I scheduled to put him to sleep tomorrow but I worry I may regret in case It was the meds. I took him from under the bed this morning he just stared at me with a empty expression for 10 minutes then went back under.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you taper off the prednisolone? Was it high dose? That's a drug that typically is tapered.

Not to sound horrible, but sadly, we often regret or at least second-guess our euthanasia decisions. It's just something you have to live with and quiet in your mind. We always wonder what if? But usually that is our brain trying to find a way to keep our babies with us. I don't think you can go wrong if the prognosis is grave and terminal. Regardless, you will be sparing your boy from pain and suffering. You love your boy a lot - so you are making decisions out of love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you taper off the prednisolone? Was it high dose? That's a drug that typically is tapered.

Not to sound horrible, but sadly, we often regret or at least second-guess our euthanasia decisions. It's just something you have to live with and quiet in your mind. We always wonder what if? But usually that is our brain trying to find a way to keep our babies with us. I don't think you can go wrong if the prognosis is grave and terminal. Regardless, you will be sparing your boy from pain and suffering. You love your boy a lot - so you are making decisions out of love.
No I didn’t taper it. He got a dose at the vet then I get him another later that night. I gave him 2 on Tuesday and then stopped because he hated it and also his whole demeanor and everything seemed worse on it. Before he started it he was acting semi normal.