Making that final decision...

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our oldest girl, Gertrude (in my photo), is not doing well. She is nearly 18 and has multiple issues. She's been in kidney failure for a few years and we give her subQ nightly. Her levels have slowly creeped up but we haven't checked her blood in about 6 months. She also has chronic allergies and has been sneezing etc. for years which can make her miserable.

On top of that, she suffered an unknown injury as a kitten and broke her back in multiple places. She has always had an easy time getting around (she kind of hops) but she's gotten less mobile over the year. And then she started getting UTIs over the summer. Her appetite has been great until this month. The last round of antibiotics made her not want to eat and since coming off of it, she hasn't fully gotten her appetite back. And she's had some accidents. We don't know if it's from a UTI/tumor situation or from just having a difficult time getting around and being in pain (she is also on prednisone every day). She has started drinking a lot more water than usual. We decided to do bloodwork this Tuesday to see if her kidney values are worse.

Then last night she jumped down off the couch, vomited, and peed at the same time. And she even pooped a little bit. Then she acted super out of it and sick all night (but didn't vomit again or we would have gone to the ER). I found her this morning just aimlessly sitting in the kitchen for I don't know how many hours. Of course, our regular vet is not there and we don't want to put her through a lot of tests (X-rays, ultrasounds) that won't change the course of action. She seems ready to leave us-- painful and out of it, and I hate making that decision.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try to trust yourself. So often we know we're doing the right thing but we still second guess ourselves afterwards. That's just the way difficult decisions are. You know her best. When you decide, remember that helping her have a peaceful transition is one of the most kind gestures you can make.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her in for her tests and be prepared for the worst. Of course, if she gets a lot worse before then, bring her in sooner. she may haev suffered from a stroke. You might call this morning and ask about bringing her in, if she is worse, or about getting a liquid pain med to put into her cheek so she doesn't suffer on Sunday, when no one is open. My heart goes out to you, you can't let her suffer.....We are here if you need us, I'll pray for you all......

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, our regular vet is not there and we don't want to put her through a lot of tests (X-rays, ultrasounds) that won't change the course of action. She seems ready to leave us-- painful and out of it, and I hate making that decision.
It sounds like you have you answer right here. Unfortunately, our furry friends often need help crossing over. It's definitely not one of the most fun decision one can make. It is the last selfless gift one can give to a terminally ill pet in pain.

Last edited: