Making sense of our loss

barbiebc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Sept 20th my 18 year old,Ellie, passed away.  My 16 year old began to howl and look around for Ellie.  Her behavior was definitely out of sorts. It was suggested that we get another cat for the 16 year old because she has never lived solitary and see if that would help her.  Last week we introduced a second cat and the howling stopped and she was just unusually quiet.  Nov 1st she was breathing funny and I took her to the vet and she was in cardiac distress and passed away, too.  Is it possible that the loss of her companion was too much for her to continue on and the stress of the new addition as well?  I am lost without them both and trying to make some sense of this to get through it. Any input would help.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. Someone who's experienced a similar situation with 2 older cats may have a different opinion. But I'd say it was just a coincidence.
I had 2 young cats who, when one passed from a heart defect, the other was despondent- but she got over it. I'm not sure that cats feel grief, but I do know they feel a great deal of emotion from people they are close too. The main thing for some cats IMO, is that they hate change.
My young cat for instance lost her brother (no blood relation) and was sad, so I tried to get another young cat for her to play with. She tolerates, but doesn't LOVE the new cat like she loved her brother.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is very possible. Even in people this happens, a spouse will sometimes pass very soon (within a few months) after the other one dies. They literally die of a broken heart, caused by all the stress and emotional upheaval grieving for their loved one (there is scientific evidence that this does actually happen.)  I would assume it's the same or similar for kitties who were very close to each other. I am sorry for your loss, but the two of them are together again.