Making Progress With Stray

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted last week or so about a stray that I would like to rescue. I feed her daily 2-3 times a day. Although she was reluctant to follow me up the stairs to my apt, she has done so this weekend. With the wonderful advice that I recieved from members here, I bought a teaser toy. She plays with it and comes up the steps and into the entrance to where I live. She stays there for about 15 minutes just sitting and grooming herself. She sniffs around and looks up to where I live. I' cautious not to scare her or make any sudden moves as I would love for her to stay and come into my apt. Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I've name her Little Lady...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, I remembered you. I responded to your other thread too.

Well , that’s good to hear. On top of the teaser and with her staying for some time grooming herself, I suggest that you may like to place some towels or blankets for her to lay on so that her scent will be on it and you can place the towels around the house so that she’ll get familiar with the place as her scent is all around. This way she don’t get spooked with new scents.

Once she gets her scents on it, place it on the stairs higher up so that each time she comes, she’s closer to your door and eventually into the house and the more scent of hers, the better.

But it takes time. So don’t close the door after her so quickly if she ever gets in. Once she gets freaked out, it’s gonna be harder on the next try.

She’s a lovely kitty :happycat::lovecat4:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has come into only the entrance of the house both yesterday and today. She's quite inquisitive and looks around everywhere. I didn' want to close the entrance door. Although she would'e been inside the entrance hallway I didn' want her to get scared and just totally freak out.. thank you for the suggestion with the towels. I will definitely do that..

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Move the food bowl closer to your door, little by little, day by day. Up each stair...eventually at the door, then the doorjamb, then inside with door still open....then further and further into the house....employ a 2nd person to close the door behind her if necessary. Take your time, little by little to accomplish using this method. Rest assured, she WILL follow the food.

Ya gotta do what you must in the kitties interests. Little Lady is very pretty, btw.

I'll further submit she's likely an ex house cat just yearning for a home....she just isn't quite sure yet....YOU need to make the bold move on her behalf. Get her in, vetted and safe.

tabbytom tabbytom suggestions regarding scent are valid (as usual) He knows his stuff. Do that too, to reassure her. Seems she's quite willing to eventually come in.

I had similar with my Princess...an ex housecat stray...very willing to come in...took me just a few days with this method. They want a home situation...just can't communicate it. We have to think for them....in their best interests of course.

Please provide updates!

Last edited:

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again for your great suggestions. I believe she does want a home but is obviously unsure. She' the only stray that follows me and stays around long after she finishes eating. I will definitely keep updating... yes I think she's adorable as well...

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again for your great suggestions. I believe she does want a home but is obviously unsure. She' the only stray that follows me and stays around long after she finishes eating. I will definitely keep updating... yes I think she's adorable as well...

Good for you! It's a roller-coaster experience. You have intuited the ambivalence of the feral cat who has had to live by her wits. Little Mouser (see picture), whom I fed for 4 months before capturing her and taking her to the vet, is working through her trust issues - now 3 weeks along as an "inside cat". It's truly 2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back. When she came inside (or would have faced death by exposure), I wept for relief that she would not freeze to death. On a daily basis, I try to be very consistent and make very slow, incremental changes. Little Mouser is a special needs kitty - I think she was either abused or run over by a car. She does not play, does not jump and for several days would not eat. I cannot initiate touch. She is terrified by "inside" sounds like me unzipping my jacket. But she is gradually warming up. She now "talks", purrs and today for the first time, trilled - made a special sound. She now marks my legs and head-butts my calves. When she freaks out, I play James Taylor, Art Garfunkel and other soft ballads. She settles right down.

Please have hope. The cat will guide you. She really does want an "assisted life". It is just too exhausting, especially for female ferals, to live in the wild. May God bless you for caring for this little creature!

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your beautiful words. I've been feeding her since the end of August. Its her and about 3 other strays that come and go as they please. Little Lady, as I've named her, stays around, meows and follows me. She' a precious little cat. I want to do what's right for her and would like to rescue her. I'm patient and I have faith that I will finally be able to rescue her. She' actually made a ot of progress. She was very skittish and wouldn't let me anywhere near her. So yes I know that it takes time... Little Mouser is adorable. I wish all the best for you and for him. Thank you for rescuing him...

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.. I would like to update on this post. Little Lady has begun to rub herself on my legs before and after I feed her. She lets me pet her and scratch the side of neck. She stands next to me with her tail pointed straight up in the air. She doesn't let me pick her up though. She also "makes biscuits" while I'm petting her. She will come up the stairs but is still a bit reluctant to stay inside the entrance. There is another stray cat the I feed whom I name Tabitha. She doesn't let me pet her but she does come inside to sniff and look around lol..

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone.. I would like to update on this post. Little Lady has begun to rub herself on my legs before and after I feed her. She lets me pet her and scratch the side of neck. She stands next to me with her tail pointed straight up in the air. She doesn't let me pick her up though. She also "makes biscuits" while I'm petting her. She will come up the stairs but is still a bit reluctant to stay inside the entrance. There is another stray cat the I feed whom I name Tabitha. She doesn't let me pet her but she does come inside to sniff and look around lol..
Aww..somebody LOVES you! :catlove:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like she picked you! Now there's no turning back! ❤ I'm kind of in the same boat. I released my stray/feral into my basement about 11 days ago. Worth every minute and patience is needed, every minute. Can't wait for more updates on lil lady. She's a beauty! :lovecat4:

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww..somebody LOVES you! :catlove:
Thank you ...she's come a long way from when she first came around. She was very scared and very skittish. She's a darling

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like she picked you! Now there's no turning back! ❤ I'm kind of in the same boat. I released my stray/feral into my basement about 11 days ago. Worth every minute and patience is needed, every minute. Can't wait for more updates on lil lady. She's a beauty! :lovecat4:
She will be the first stray that I rescue. I look forward having her inside... I will definitely be posting more updates.

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear ya!! My first too! Wishing you all the best...I have my own thread of panic and progress going. I give a lot of thanks to all these amazing people on here....
Yes .. I have gotten some wonderful advice on this site. I love coming back here to update any progress.. they are always so warm and full of knowledge.

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear ya!! My first too! Wishing you all the best...I have my own thread of panic and progress going. I give a lot of thanks to all these amazing people on here....
Yes .. I have gotten some wonderful advice on this site. I love coming back here to update any progress.. they are always so warm and full of knowledge.

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update in Lil Lady, although she doesn' want to come in she doesn't want to leave either. As you see in the picture this what she does on most days. She rarely come up the stairs and has only come in 2x and no more. Although she lets me pet her, she doesn't let me carry her.. she seems to be unsure of what she wants to do. I sit outside with her and pet her and then when I go in she does this...
20180206_104512.jpg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She seems to be like seeking attention or want to you to spend more time with her or wants something but dare not make the move.

Have you tried playing with her by the stairs and use a cat wand and lure her up or hand feed her with food? Chat more with her make her feel loved and feel at home.

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do play with her with a wand on the stairs when she wants to. She will run up the stairs and play at the top but will not come in. I spend as much time with her as I can and I also pet her as long as she lets me. I feel so bad when I have to go about my business and leave her. I always great her whenever I see her and talk to her while I feed her and I spend time with her. She always meows back..

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Meowing back is a very good sign. Next step is play with her nearer the door and leave food there too. Slowly move the food inside after some time. She may be intimidated by the door and house as she might have some unpleasant memories about going indoors or she sense that there are other cats in there.

You have to build up her confidence. Once she gets past this stage, she should have no fear going into the house.

Issyhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will definitely bring the food closer to the door and eventually inside. I know that she is very weary of the door when she has been close to it. Thank you for all of your advice.