Making my own kibble?

howldaloom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi im new on the forum!

I have two cats around 6 monthes old now!

From day one i have had problems with my boy rogue with dry food.

Every dry food i have had him on makes him vomit. without fail. i have tried soaking them in water and he wont touch them. I have tried around 5 brands and every one of them makes him sick.

he is also on wet food same as my other cat and they both do fine on that.

ideally i would like to make my own kibble that i no wont make him ill.

I gave it ago go the other day. I made it with 70% flower an egg and 30% rabbit meat. *too much moisture in egg so had to add more flour* So Next time hopefully will be 50-60% flour instead.What was missing was a bit of flavouring though to make it smell nice.

If i was going to feed it long term i would have to add powdered egg shell to it and taurine.

Do you think this is a good idea? And what flavouring could i add to it to make it smell good to him?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's sort of pointless to make your own kibble. If you're going to make your own food just give him homecooked or raw food. Trying to make it into a kibble would be unnecessary. 60% flour is way too much, I expect that would make him sick as well. Grains are no good for cats.

Why not just give them all wet food? It's better for them anyway.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
BAD IDEA. Feed raw or homecooked. THat is way too much wheat(flour), not to mention no where near nutritionally complete. I'd just feed them all wet if dry is making one of them sick. I know that is what I'd do for Nuts, and all canned is healthier for them anywys.

Taryn

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say no to the home made kibble. As the others said, wet food is a healthier diet than kibble so if the wet is good and doesn't make him sick stay with that.

I put Bijou on all wet food last year and decreased his food a bit to get him to lose weight. He was getting way too big on the kibble.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As everyone has already stated, trying to recreate kibble isn't worth the time and is definitely dangerous (there's no way to add back in all the necessary nutrients that are destroyed by cooking). You would do a lot better to feed grain-free canned or learn about the various raw-feeding methods.

Good on you for caring so much about your littlest family member, though!! And welcome to TCS!

Best regards.

AC