Make travel less stressful

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm getting ready to take a 9-10 hour drive with my husband to my parents ,(he's going to be flying back to Washington like 2 days after we get to my parents)  then Sandi and I will have 10-12 hour flight to my husband a month later. 

Sandi doesn't really like the car as she meows quite loudly the entire time. She stops the instant we walk in the door at the border's, the vet, or my house.

I talked to my vet about what would be best and she suggested 6.5mg of baby benadryl. Every 4-6 hours as needed. 
But since benadryl doesn't knock me out, it sends me bouncing off the walls, I feel I'll need to give her a small dose before the trip ever starts just to make sure it doesn't make her more on edge and go bonkers.

Now I've got her a medium Sherpa (it's the delta one) and its out and the top is open. I put treats in it every few days, and they usually disappear. So I know she's going in there (she's my only fur baby)

As far as the car ride, is it best to bring a litterbox in the car with us and keep litter in a bag and when we stop to grab food, gas or pee, allow her a chance you use the litterbox? And should I feed her like normal on car travel day, or only give her some water?

And she wears a harness and does OK on a leash. This is the only time she goes outside. She's a house cat otherwise. I take her out on the balcony every so often and she will walk around and chase bugs out there. I've got one of my old tshirts I've been putting in her bed so that it'll smell like me and her to help keep her calmer, when this all comes.

What really worries me is airport security. I HAVE to take her our of her carrier so they can send the carrier through the xray machine. I'll have the leash on hand to clip to her harness as soon as I have to take her out, but I'm really nervous she'll get away before I can clip the leash on. Though if the benadryl does it's job she'll be mellow.

As far as not giving pets medicine on flights since the altitude changes things, would it be best to giver her the benadryl so that shes calm when we go through security and that it has cleared her system before takeoff? Or does that only really apply to actual drugs that the vet has to per scribe?

How should feeding work on plane travel day? While the pet relief area is an option, not only would take mean going back through security again, but she really HATES HATES HATES dogs. So much that my friends little chiwawa/dachshund mix when he comes over and she secured in the bed room with her food toys bed and litter box, when the dog leaves and I let her out, she goes over to the couch where he was sitting and starts to HISS up a storm. And she's met this dog once and he did nothing to her. So I feel like there has to be an alternative. 

Gah. This is making me way more nervous than having movers come in 2 weeks and cleaning my apartment after that and uggg.
Advice, tips, pointers, experience in this field?

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hubby had to drive our 2 from Ohio to Arizona...he did it in 2 days, only stopping one night! BUT... we did get a sedative to relax them from the vet...I don't know what it was... but anyway... we got a bigger dog cage and put it in the back of our suv, thus a little litterbox, water, ect could all fit in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hubby had to drive our 2 from Ohio to Arizona...he did it in 2 days, only stopping one night! BUT... we did get a sedative to relax them from the vet...I don't know what it was... but anyway... we got a bigger dog cage and put it in the back of our suv, thus a little litterbox, water, ect could all fit in there.
I sadly do not drive an SUV. I drive a subcompact Ford Fiesta. There's barley room for a car seat in the back (we dont have kids, but ive babysat for friends before)

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well on a positive note she probably will feel safer in tighter quarters [emoji]128522[/emoji]

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let's hope. I really hope that this move doesn't put too much stress on her. it'll be stressful for sure, but She'll be ok in the end.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes she'll be fine. I wish I knew what sedative we gave our girls..they were teeny pills, easy to throw down the throat ;)

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet suggested baby benadryl.

Which makes me happy, becuase it's not expensive, I dont have to worry about not having it for the flight, and it's not nearly as strong as something the vet would have to give me. So hoping it works.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well I know how sleepy it makes me! lol Best wishes to you..I know things like this can really weigh heavy on a person, but all in all, she's gonna still have one heck of a great life... just a lil detour to get there :)

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can request a private screening at security for your cat. Most airports have little rooms nearby for privacy. Call the airport
ahead to see...sometimes they are at certain security entry points and you'll want to go through those.

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It's a small airport, but it an international one so hopefully. :) :)