Make The Best Cat Toy At Home!!

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We came up with this toy to excercise our rambunctious ferret, and our kitten Buttercup loves it just as much!
What you need:
One kids fishing pole, we use Shakespeare brand from Walmart for only $9.98! They are cheap, short to use indoors, light and easy to use.
Tie on any cat toy that has enough weight to cast the line, so maybe you have a bunch already!
Simply tie on and cast away!
Tips:
Toys with jingles are great because it draws their attention.
If you need to, Change “lure” to keep them busy and engaged, but they may have a favorite toy to stick with.
Cast in different places around the room or hallway, sit in a place where you have lots of choices! If it looks like they are getting bored, its often that they just became tired of chasing something they know is going to the same spot. Keep them guessing and you’ll be amazed that how long (and full tilt!) your cat will keep playing!
It’s great for people who have mobility issues, because you can cast from your chair or even laying down. It’s also great fun to watch and laugh!
The only down side is very rarely they can tangle themselves for a second if they roll themselves in the line, but I’ve only seen this twice in many, many hundreds of times of fun! They were out in second, once looking a bit startled (not too startled to go right back at it) and once looking embarrassed. ;)
It great for stress, because they can’t be stressed when they are having so much they fall asleep in happy heap from play.
Hope you love it, please show your results!!

View media item 420787

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing this! My cats favorite toy is a (store bought) variation on this. With mine, you can't actually "cast," but the combination of thin fishing line and light feather toys on the end makes irresistibly realistic fluttering. I can only imagine your design is an improvement!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing this! My cats favorite toy is a (store bought) variation on this. With mine, you can't actually "cast," but the combination of thin fishing line and light feather toys on the end makes irresistibly realistic fluttering. I can only imagine your design is an improvement!
You’re very welcome! I also have a couple of those toys, but this one makes all the difference because the lure could end up popping out from behind a chair, curtain or anywhere they don’t expect! It’s a great way to wear them out before OUR bedtime, lol! Let know if you make one!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did this many years ago and it was definitely the cats' very favorite toy. The problem we had was that Sunshine began ignoring the toy on the end to attack the fishing line. Once she began doing this, the others started doing it as well. Since biting and chewing fishing line is a recipe for disaster, we had to pack away this beloved toy.
Over the years I have tried to reintroduce it a couple of times. Switching out the toy on the end. They still ALWAYS go after that darn fishing line! It's such a shame because it really was a fun way to play with them.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You’re very welcome! I also have a couple of those toys, but this one makes all the difference because the lure could end up popping out from behind a chair, curtain or anywhere they don’t expect! It’s a great way to wear them out before OUR bedtime, lol! Let know if you make one!
I will definitely try this, because I have TONS of the "extra" feather clip toys that come with the other lure toys. I never get the chance to use the extras, because the toy itself generally breaks before the feather wears out, so I just buy a new set next time (which comes with another feather, plus another extra!) Do you remember where you got the BB8 fishing line you're using in the video? Aside from being a Star Wars fan, I'd know it worked as intended if I got the same one!

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
We did this many years ago and it was definitely the cats' very favorite toy. The problem we had was that Sunshine began ignoring the toy on the end to attack the fishing line. Once she began doing this, the others started doing it as well. Since biting and chewing fishing line is a recipe for disaster, we had to pack away this beloved toy.
Over the years I have tried to reintroduce it a couple of times. Switching out the toy on the end. They still ALWAYS go after that darn fishing line! It's such a shame because it really was a fun way to play with them.
Oh no!! I’m sorry you had that happen I can hear from you that you enjoyed it as much (or more!) than they. I can’t think of a way to fix it either? The only guess I have would be to coat it in bitter apple? Maybe the toy could made somehow with yarn and a larger toy on the end? Such a shame!!:bawling:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will definitely try this, because I have TONS of the "extra" feather clip toys that come with the other lure toys. I never get the chance to use the extras, because the toy itself generally breaks before the feather wears out, so I just buy a new set next time (which comes with another feather, plus another extra!) Do you remember where you got the BB8 fishing line you're using in the video? Aside from being a Star Wars fan, I'd know it worked as intended if I got the same one!
Oh good idea! I know the toys that you mean, great way to use them. We are huge Star Wars fans too, our Shih-Tzus are Vader and Chewbacca I just realized I made a mistake, this one looks like a Zebco, not a Shakespeare. There is an R2D2 online also, for around 10$ for the whole rod, reel and line- can’t beat that!
Redirect Notice

I would have for R2 if I’d seen it!

Google Image Result for https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/bad2a27c-848a-47ac-a237-43533413462c_1.fdddf7b1751f9d66dcbee9d8ca7def75.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had something similar for a former cat when I was a kid. Not only was it a fun toy for the cat, but as a young angler it helped me practice my flipping and pitching techniques. Now I am hesitant because I do not want the cat to associate my fishing rods with toys as they are not inexpensive. He already chewed holes in the cork grip of a nice rod when I left it out for a few minutes. Additionally I am not sure what line to use because I don't want him to get caught in it and cut himself. After reading you post, watching some of the video, and thinking for a moment though it may be possible to set something up with an extra spinning reel/rod. Since the cork handle incident I never leave any of my rods unattended anyway... Cool video!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh good idea! I know the toys that you mean, great way to use them. We are huge Star Wars fans too, our Shih-Tzus are Vader and Chewbacca I just realized I made a mistake, this one looks like a Zebco, not a Shakespeare. There is an R2D2 online also, for around 10$ for the whole rod, reel and line- can’t beat that!
Redirect Notice

I would have for R2 if I’d seen it!

Google Image Result for https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/bad2a27c-848a-47ac-a237-43533413462c_1.fdddf7b1751f9d66dcbee9d8ca7def75.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
Thank you so much for the link! I have to get R2d2. :happycat: He's my all time favorite character, although BB8 is also adorable. Vader and Chewbacca are amazing names for your pups!

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had something similar for a former cat when I was a kid. Not only was it a fun toy for the cat, but as a young angler it helped me practice my flipping and pitching techniques. Now I am hesitant because I do not want the cat to associate my fishing rods with toys as they are not inexpensive. He already chewed holes in the cork grip of a nice rod when I left it out for a few minutes. Additionally I am not sure what line to use because I don't want him to get caught in it and cut himself. After reading you post, watching some of the video, and thinking for a moment though it may be possible to set something up with an extra spinning reel/rod. Since the cork handle incident I never leave any of my rods unattended anyway... Cool video!
It’s amazing so many people have used one, here I was thinking I thought up something great and new lol! I think all of cat owners think along the same lines regarding so many things. As for bothering the pole, they are only 10$ and much smaller than a full size rod, with no yummy soft grip to much on. My father is avid fly fisher, and I know more than I care to about Orvis, Sage and others- and of not going ne
I suppose you could swap the line to a lighter test if you are nervous? Thanks for the kind word. Let me know how it goes, I just love watching them cat fishing!

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the link! I have to get R2d2. :happycat: He's my all time favorite character, although BB8 is also adorable. Vader and Chewbacca are amazing names for your pups!
You are most welcome, R2 is the best! There are so many great characters and adventures in the Clone Wars too, I’m not a big fan of the new movies. :( So sad being a lifelong fan! Actually Buttercup’s favorite mice are a Han and Leia pair I picked up at Petco, they have great Starwars stuff! Please let me know it goes, I can’t wait to see!:popcorn:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection sorry for the accidental post. I was saying that I just got some petco Star Wars toys for the cats and pup, and another mini cat condo they had on sale! I'll let you know if they're hits with the pets.

I also love the Clone Wars cartoons, especially the droid episodes. I actually got to meet Ashley Eckstein (voice of Ashoka) while I worked at my last job, because they were filming a segment of her annual cosplay contest stuff there. She's really nice!
I agree that the new movies don't hold a candle to the old. They have their moments, though. I still make an effort to go see them, but it's not the same.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to set this up but I think my cat is a little mixed up. When he was a kitten I used a spare rod to move along the floor (the top guide) which he chased and loved. As an adult he has learned (and sort of been taught) to avoid my fishing equipment for mostly safety reasons (hooks, braided line). I guess it is not really an option to have a toy set up the way you show. It is a real bummer because it would be a lot of fun. It would have been neat to show the cat chasing a Star Trek toy. Spock on the Enterprise!

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection sorry for the accidental post. I was saying that I just got some petco Star Wars toys for the cats and pup, and another mini cat condo they had on sale! I'll let you know if they're hits with the pets.

I also love the Clone Wars cartoons, especially the droid episodes. I actually got to meet Ashley Eckstein (voice of Ashoka) while I worked at my last job, because they were filming a segment of her annual cosplay contest stuff there. She's really nice!
I agree that the new movies don't hold a candle to the old. They have their moments, though. I still make an effort to go see them, but it's not the same.
Hear hear!!

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried to set this up but I think my cat is a little mixed up. When he was a kitten I used a spare rod to move along the floor (the top guide) which he chased and loved. As an adult he has learned (and sort of been taught) to avoid my fishing equipment for mostly safety reasons (hooks, braided line). I guess it is not really an option to have a toy set up the way you show. It is a real bummer because it would be a lot of fun. It would have been neat to show the cat chasing a Star Trek toy. Spock on the Enterprise!
Oh no! Necessity is the mother of invention, maybe you can come up with a new idea? And you’re right, that would be hilarious!!:lol: