Make free donations, help animals and pet shelters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr claws human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love the concept of supporting an animal via a website when the act of visiting the site itself translates into financial support for the animal. I have adopted a similar approach to offsetting the expenses of my furbaby, Dr. Claw! Of course I've added donation options, but my main goal is simply to provide cute photos, videos, and interesting articles for visitors to enjoy free of charge as the ad revenue slowly ads to my kitty care fund.

If this little experiment proves fruitful, it may be an excellent solution to getting more cats into good homes despite the down economy! If you are at all interested, check it out!

http://sponsordrclaw.weebly.com/index.html

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr Claws Human

I love the concept of supporting an animal via a website when the act of visiting the site itself translates into financial support for the animal. I have adopted a similar approach to offsetting the expenses of my furbaby, Dr. Claw! Of course I've added donation options, but my main goal is simply to provide cute photos, videos, and interesting articles for visitors to enjoy free of charge as the ad revenue slowly ads to my kitty care fund.

If this little experiment proves fruitful, it may be an excellent solution to getting more cats into good homes despite the down economy! If you are at all interested, check it out!

In response to this post, please see rule #5 below:

5. Solicitations – TheCatSite.com does not encourage or promote solicitation of money from our members. We will help in every way possible with our knowledge and support, but as many of us have multi-cat households and work with local rescue groups, monetary support is not always possible to causes or people we do not personally know. Members are allowed one posting in the SOS forum for each organization. Repeated postings for the same cause or organization will be deleted.

The needs of rescue workers are great and we recognize this fact. To care for multiple cats, find suitable homes, good vet care, food, etc. is costly. From time to time you will see some posts come up to ask for donations for a cause. It is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. More often, you will see pleas from individuals asking for money to be sent directly to them to assist with veterinary bills. Some come up with slick websites, others just have heartwrenching stories. In each of these cases, the poster is allowed ONE thread, to be placed in Cats SOS.

In either case, if you feel compelled to donate money ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. For personal pleas, get the veterinarianâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s contact information and send money directly to the veterinarian to help with bills for that particular cat. If that information is not available, you have the answer if the plea is legitimate or a scam.

Be very careful before you send any money: no matter how effective the plea is, check it out first before opening your wallet.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr Claws Human

If you don't think you can afford to own a cat, I highly recommend you get pet insurance so at least that way if anything big comes up you don't have to worry about a big up front cost.

You'll probably find most people won't want to donate money for someone else to pay for day to day pet costs - if you choose to adopt a pet, you choose to accept the day to day costs. I know myself that if I'm going to donate money, it would be to a fund that helps animals in need such as http://www.angels4animals.org/

dr claws human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in the minority amongst my friends and peers as a pet owner, and some how thought that sending a pet sponsor website out into the world would help better fund not only my cat, but serve as a model to others who WANT to help, but may have some hesitation to do so. PLEASE forgive me, as I did not mean to solicit anything, and did not realize that scams or donation requests were such a problem on these forums. I truly want to participate in this community and will stop posting links to Curtis's site.

Rest assured that my cat is being well cared for at the time, and if I do find myself in a position where I cannot keep a good quality of life for both of us, I will absolutely do the difficult but right thing and find someone who can take care of him.

Of course, the fear was that my special cat and best friend would wind up amongst the untold number of other cats looking for a home...and that they couldn't possibly love him the way I do! As someone who always wants a game plan and a sense of security, I guess I felt this would help alleviate any doubt I'd have about periods of unemployment and how that might effect Curtis.

But, again, no harm meant and I hope this won't effect my ability to participate in this awesome community.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately there have been many cases where people will put up a sob story to solicit money or gifts out of people - not just here, but any web forum. The anonymity of the internet allows people to push boundaries that may not do in real life.

We have to make sure we protect ourselves and our members - and it's a good reminder to all members to be careful when considering sending money to anyone over the internet!

dr claws human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I once heard a horror story about a guy who threatened to kill a rabbit and eat it unless he collected some crazy amount of money from animal lovers via the internet. I don't know if its true, but based on what your saying, I'm more inclined to believe it. Its just freaking disgusting!

Status
Not open for further replies.