Major vibes needed for JinJin!

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's such a relief to hear that JinJin is doing better and the kittens are fine! Thanks for updating us!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

JinJin is a pregnant feral girl that we trapped 6 weeks ago, and she gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens just a few days later. Last night I thought I saw her leg shake a bit while climbing in the litter box, so I watched her but didn't see anything else amiss. Today there was obviously something wrong...she was having coordination problems, and it seemed like her head was bobbing, and her breathing was fast. The vet sent us to the emergency clinic right away as she was afraid JinJin was on the verge of collapse & they didn't have the facilities to resucitate her! We ran to the clinic (which fortunately opened early for us...she was breathing over 200 breaths per minute!), and they put her in an oxygen chamber right away. They did bloodwork which was basically normal, her temperature is high (104), and her x-ray was pretty inconclusive.

She's there right now, on IV's and antibiotics. Her breathing is a bit better, but the neurological symptoms are still there without any clear explanation as to the cause.

Please keep this girl in your thoughts and prayers tonight!
Hopefully she is just stressed or dehydrated after giving birth to them, is this her first litter that you know of? Chi Chi and myself send you and Jin Jin, and the babies love,hope,prayer and all the good vibes in us both.Please let me know how she is doing in a few days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all again for your concern, good vibes, and prayers. JinJin appears to be okay, but I still see the occasional head tremor. I spoke to the vet this morning to update him, and we discussed that. We are now thinking that she has always had an underlying neurological problem that got "set off" by (possibly) infection. As for the loud breathing when stressed, it's hard to say. Since the poor girl lived on the streets her whole life (up until a few weeks ago), it's impossible to know what kind of illnesses or injuries she has suffered in her life, and may be experiencing the residual effects of those.

For now, she seems to be recuperating. I think her milk has dried up considerably as the kittens are eating more and more wet and dry food. They are 5.5 weeks old, so that shouldn't pose a problem. Today's challenge? Trying to take out her IV

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just now seeing this thread, but I'm so happy to see that JinJin has improved since your first post!

Sending prayers and vibes for a continued and thorough recuperation {{{{}}}}.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Poor baby! Will you take her to the vet to take out the IV? That's what we had to do.
No, between my being a nurse, and a woman I know who is extremely experienced at handling feral kitties, we've decided to do it here. Frankly, getting her into a carrier, and taking her to the vet would be much more stressful. The two vets who have taken care of her have agreed that this would be best.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

No, between my being a nurse, and a woman I know who is extremely experienced at handling feral kitties, we've decided to do it here. Frankly, getting her into a carrier, and taking her to the vet would be much more stressful. The two vets who have taken care of her have agreed that this would be best.
Kelly, who do you foster for in Chicago? Is it an organization or do you just take these lucky kits in?

And here are some MAJOR VIBES for you JinJin!

kateyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was so glad to read she was doing a bit better.
Jinjin looks like such a sweet kitty, I wanted to hug her the minute I saw her pic.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Kelly, who do you foster for in Chicago? Is it an organization or do you just take these lucky kits in?

And here are some MAJOR VIBES for you JinJin!
I have fostered for PAWS in the past, but the last several I've had have come from a 2 block area of the Roger's Park neighborhood here in Chicago. In fact, 3 of the kittens in my siggy (adopted out!), the male (former) feral Beau (currently here), and JinJin were all trapped in the same yard. That neighborhood is overrun. Overall we've trapped 15 cats/kittens there just this spring...10 of which were females (not counting the 4 girls in JinJin's litter!)! That already saturated area would have been a nightmare come next year.

I see you're from around here. Do you foster as well? Barring that, are you looking for a kitten or cat? Just kidding! Sorta.

Thanks again for everyone's concern for this girl. She continues to improve, and is nearly back to her old self!

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll keep Miss JinJin in my thoughts, I hope she continues to do a little better everyday! Keep us posted.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a quick update:

JinJin continues to improve!
We took out her IV (which she sat for like an angel). Her appetite is ravenous! Because she was a nursing mom, I had her on kitten food, but I was afraid that it was too rich for her. I switched her to adult food, and it has helped considerably...her stools are normal now. The kittens are eating canned and dry food like little pigs (except for the boy...gawd! he's such a mama's boy!), but she does continue to nurse them from time to time. Fortunately it's nearly as frequently, so hopefully it won't pose a problem for her.

I lost some ground from the "trust" factor, however. She used to enjoy petting from time to time, but that's on hold for the time being. Ah well, it was necessary, and hopefully the trust will return soon!

Thanks to all who sent out prayers and good thoughts for JinJin...it worked!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news Kellie
that's because of your care and concern, and I'm sure you will be able to gain that Trust and Love very soon. Will still send good vibes your way.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was all going so well...until this morning.

The last few days JinJin has been doing really well. In fact Friday she actually played! Which anyone who has taken in an adult feral can tell you that is a huge, huge deal! I was thrilled.

This morning poor Jin came walking up near me, sticking her tongue in and out of her mouth & threw up (which frankly was a bit of a relief, I thought she might be having a seizure), then ran to the litter box, trailing diarrhea along the way.
Already late for work, I cleaned it up quickly & called the vet when I got to work. He thinks that since it was such a sudden onset, that something she ate might have caused it. I did give her a bit of water from tuna the night before (which I have given to other kitties as a treat & never had a problem). He suggested either taking away her food & water for a day (too late, I was already at work), or cooking her a bland diet of chicken or turkey with rice or potato, or turkey baby food. When I got home tonight, I boiled up some chicken & potatoes & mashed them up. So far so good, so I hope it was a temporary set back. The dinner was a huge hit with her & the babies, and I even had to give some to the other two 'cause they were causing such a stink about being left out!