Major personality change

amberandathena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet girl Athena is about 7 months old. She's always been a mommy's girl but within the last few days she's gotten extreme. She'll only eat if I'm in the room with her, same goes for drinking. I have to take her to the litter box and wait for her to finish. She either wants me holding her or to be curled up in my blanket or on my pillow. She's eating very little drinking little and not making much of a mess in her litter box. She doesn't have fleas or lice or any other creepy critter. However she's starting to constantly groom herself. Her fur is getting kind of oily I assume it's from over stimulation of the oil glands in her skin. Just tonight she actually growled and hissed at me when I patted her lower back which she's never had an issue with before and she's never even growled at me. What is going on with her!?!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi and welcome to TCS!

@AmberandAthena, may i ask -- does athena go outdoors? it sounds like it's possible that your girl may have been injured. if she doesn't go outdoors, she could have gotten injured indoors while playing

behavioral changes, especially when pretty sudden and the ones you've mentioned, call for a vet visit -- to check the cat/kitten over, in order to (hopefully) rule out possible medical reasons or to diagnose and treat. cats hide illness extremely well, so when we're seeing symptoms i would say that it's certain that kitty isn't feeling well.

i'd suggest seeing your vet as soon as possible. it's always best to err on the side of caution, and the cost is lower and effectiveness of any treatments is much better if medical issues are caught and treated sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome!  As mentioned above a visit to the vet would be best.  Also is she spayed?  If she isn't spayed, her hormones could be starting up which can result in personality changes.  She should be spayed soon.