major change in my cats personality

loumacd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old tabby, he used to be a very placid kitty. 3 Weeks ago we moved and he took it well apart from loosing a bit of weight (nothing the vet was concerned with) when we got him he was a biscuit only cat so decided to let him have some wet food which he thinks is a brilliant idea as he's back looking like his old self. last week he was neutered and since then he's running about the house like a bat out of hell, where you used to have to coax him to play you now he's always playing with his toys and anything else he can hit around. while its fab to see him jumping around I just wanted to know he was feeling ok, he still loves his cuddles but these very constant mad half hours he's having before he's settling down are so unlike him....is he ok?
any advise would be great

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The "mad half hours" are absolutely normal in a healthy cat. Perhaps he feels a lot better and has more energy because he's on a healthier wet diet now. He might also be happier in your new surroundings.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with jcat, I'm not sure from your post if the food change was around when you moved house too or a longer time ago.  It sounds like your young cat is feeling healthy and bouncy which is exactly what he should be.  If he was 'placid' until recently it is more likely he was feeling under the weather in some way, either because his biscuit food didn't suit him and maybe even gave him some discomfort from an intolerance, or that he was feeling threatened in some way at the old house.  It sounds more like a nutritional thing so I would be interested to know when his diet changed.  It may just be a coincidence that the change happened after he was neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loumacd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we started giving him a pouch every morning when he had lost a touch of weight after the move..around 2 Weeks ago it would be, he's been acting like this around a week n a half. its good to see him running around like a nutter because he never did so before..he certainly seems to be enjoying himself...he's even taken to attacking my daughters smaller Teddies and play fighting with them and enjoys his balls n other toys now where as before he had very little interest in them. he's always been an affectionate little thing and enjoys his food wet or dry. he always has biscuits available but might up it to a pouch in the evening also because if it is that its done wonders for him. thanks :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
He's sounding really happy and playful, and just like he should be for his age.  I hope your daughter's OK about him attacking her little teddies! 

One of my previous tabbies used to walk around with a big grey (toy) mouse in her mouth - held by the tail and dragging alongn the floor because it was almost as big as her. I'd find that mouse in all sorts of weird places. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

loumacd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lol she's fine with it but her special teddys I sprayed with some citrus oil to keep him away. we went out and bought him some new toys so he's having a ball of a with m just now :)
thanks
louise

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Well done you, good thinking on the deterrent for the favourite teddy.  Here's to happy youngsters all round.