Maine Coon Loves To Go In The Cold Garage (is That Good)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 205774
I took in a stray that I suspect is some type of mix of one of the northern cats. I can’t tell the difference between a Maine Coon, a Siberian or a Norwegian Forest Cat. I just know he’s big and furry. He prefers the cold and seeks it out.

The place I rent was built in 1914 and is drafty. He picks the draftiest window for his winter window viewings.
Respectfully that sure is a biggie. Do you know how many pounds. Looks like a nice kitty. My Tuxedo is 18 pounds. When I take him to the vet and open the carrier, the assistants remark, WoW That's A Big Cat. So, So Special. Thanks for sharing.
pic116.jpg

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that Siberian is a good call; I would like to see more pictures highlighting his face, though. Even if they don't change our mind, then we get to see more pictures of this adorable kitty! :)
Thank you for your kind words. To be honest with you, it really makes no differance
what breed it is. Tuxedo now has a furever home, well taking care of, has bonded and
I Love Him. Appreciate the honest helpful feedback. My little Baby Brucie might be a
Russian Blue, not sure, didn't get it from a breeder, again just feedback from the kind
members onboard. "Life Moves On"
pic121.jpg

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sabian sabian and jimmycatlover jimmycatlover - I'd have to agree with Sabian here - he looks more Siberian to me as well, and in fact @curlyqpgh 's big beautiful boy has distinctly Siberian features as well (though in fairness, more photos would certainly help). Maine Coons have pronounced broad muzzles and clear-cut jowl lines; this is TCS member @mightyboosh 's long-line (Supreme Grand Champions and International Grand Champions) "Oliver" -

https://thecatsite.com/attachments/img_2033-jpg.189123/

and his stunning Siberian, "Chubchub" -

https://thecatsite.com/attachments/img_0145-jpg.192136/

showing similar facial features to both of the cats who now grace this thread. As to Norwegian Forest Cats, They're all angles and no curves, unlike Maine Coons and Siberians - with distinctly triangular head shaping. Here's my little Bob - an NFC:

View attachment 205780

Sabian - I think "Siberian" is a good call; let's see if abyeb abyeb and @stefanz agree.
That is so amazing how these three breeds are so similar.
I've received more positive responses in this particular
forum then the What Breed Is My Cat Forum. Have received
quite a few views, but no breed response. Just have to give it
more time. Like they say in that famous quote, "A Picture Is
Worth A Thousand Words". If I get more pics, will share and post.
image1 (2).JPG

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so amazing how these three breeds are so similar.
I've received more positive responses in this particular
forum then the What Breed Is My Cat Forum. Have received
quite a few views, but no breed response. Just have to give it
more time. Like they say in that famous quote, "A Picture Is
Worth A Thousand Words". If I get more pics, will share and post.
View attachment 205842
Note: The pic shows Babie Brucie in the corner with a leash when
I first rescued him wanted to monitor him before releasing to freely
roam around the house. That leash and collar is off, they both roam
around the house where ever they choose, sometimes on the first
floor sleeping on the couch, sometimes on the second floor looking
out the window. All is good, we are one happy cuddly family.
pic37.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They went out in the garage this morning, but only for like half an hour. It's about 30 degrees right now.
M maggiedemi (and jimmycatlover jimmycatlover ) - The Big Breeds honestly don't seem to care about the cold. The February that Bob came into the main house from the cat house, his move was prompted by the weather (and the fact that the heat couldn't quite keep up with the outside temperatures). He was docile enough to simply carry, but near the back door, he squirmed 'round, and jumped out of my arms into a pile of snow. He "swam" around for a minute, shook himself off, and walked slowly back to me. It was -16º F that evening, and he seemed not even to notice - he was just intent upon making a Cat-Shaped Snow Angel.

Years ago, when I lived in the city, Big Red, my Maine Coon Cat, would walk out onto the guard-railed porch, and simply flop down in the snow, rolling around as though he were indoors by the fireside. Part of the wonder of the Big Breeds is their guard hairs and double coat, which insulates them from both the cold and the wet. Let a Siberian stand in falling snow, and the snow never really penetrates - when he shakes it off, it seems to simply disappear as though by some sort of Cat Magic.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe my cats have a Maine Coon or Big Breed ancestor. Maggie looks a lot like jimmycatlover's tuxedo cat, the same long black/white fur and fluffy tail. She only weighs 9 pounds though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, our garage isn't insulated, but it's a little warmer than the great outdoors. When it gets closer to zero degrees they don't last very long out there, but they still like to go out and check things out.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
jimmycatlover jimmycatlover - I agree it makes no difference the breed. Tuxedo is a beautiful boy, I love his little white mittens. He looks happy and I'm sure appreciates his loving home. I'm sure the rescue you got him from probably said he was a Maine Coon mix. That's what they said about my Manny. A lot of rescues seem to say that not knowing the difference in the breeds. I thought he may have some MC in him but knew there was something else there and couldn't put my finger on it. I posted on the Describe my cat forum and abyeb, CatOverTheLine, and Stefanz which are very good with their breeds suggested Siberian. After a few minutes research I agreed completely. I wasn't disappointed. He's the same awesome cat regardless but I think it helps to know what your dealing with in knowing characteristics and habits of a certain breed if problems arise.

You may not get a lot of responses on your other thread since most everyone has responded here that would normally respond on your other thread. He's a beautiful boy! Thanks for taking him in and giving a forever home! Looking forward to seeing more pics in the future!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Like me, he hates summer. Haha
Hekitty and I agree with you on that! How we ended up in NC is just beyond me. And the COAST, not even the mountains! It is 74 degrees here today!

Part of the wonder of the Big Breeds is their guard hairs and double coat, which insulates them from both the cold and the wet.
Quite a few years ago I was watching a special, probably on Animal Planet, about a cat mascot at some far northern weather observatory. They showed clips of him playing quite happily outside in -30 degrees. He didn't stay out too long in those temps, but BOY was that a happy cat! I can't remember if he was Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest, or a Siberian, but definitely one of those.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe my cats have a Maine Coon or Big Breed ancestor. Maggie looks a lot like jimmycatlover's tuxedo cat, the same long black/white fur and fluffy tail. She only weighs 9 pounds though.
Maggiedemi, if you're curious, you could start a thread in our Describing Cats Forum. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll post pictures of them eventually, once I figure out how to do it. I wish I had a photo of when Maggie first showed up. She was a feral in the woods in winter and she had so much fur you wouldn't believe it, it hung down to the ground. Now she just looks normal.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll post pictures of them eventually, once I figure out how to do it. I wish I had a photo of when Maggie first showed up. She was a feral in the woods in winter and she had so much fur you wouldn't believe it, it hung down to the ground. Now she just looks normal.
Do you have any pics on your computer?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's a digital camera. I'm sure I can figure it out, I just have to take some good photos first. I wish I had a picture of Maggie when she was still feral, she looked like a caveman with all that fur. It snowed today here in NY. The cats went out in the garage for an hour this morning, even though it's only 29 degrees.