Maine Coon Loves To Go In The Cold Garage (is That Good)

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Special Rescued Maine Coon, loves to go in the cold unheated garage and sleep in his kitty bed. The garage is insulted at 52 - 58 degrees. Indoor temp is at a comfortable 70 degrees. Tuxedo was a outdoor stray rescue two winters ago. Before I rescued to become a reformed indoor kitty, he would stay in the house with me, wake me up at 4AM to let him out in the cold weather/snow and go to some outdoor shelter in the neighborhood. He adjusted very well when I decided to rescue, get him back to health. He's not in the garage 24/7. I'm constantly checking on him to come back in the house. I also don't leave any food or water in the garage to discourage from staying there 24/7. I also have a short haired gray who likes to go in the garage also. but doesn't stay to long and wants to come back in the house. I don't think this is a problem, but just wondering if anybody else online in this wonderful forum, having the same issues.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guys have outdoor access but here it only gets to the 40 or 50 range even in the winter. We will have occasional frost come through. My guys are all short hair and they tend to want to stay inside more in the winter. However, the cold (I know mine isn't really super cold) doesn't seem to bother them much. It could be like in humans when some like it hot and some like it cold. Maine Coons evolved out of colder environments in general so maybe it feels better to him?

Whatever way it goes, I wouldn't worry too much. You may want to put a cat door so he can go between as needed or have a heat reflective mat in case he gets colder and you aren't around to let him back in the house.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maine Coon cats thrive in cold weather. In fact, with that heavy Maine Coon coat, he probably thinks that your garage is balmy! He'll be fine, although I do like the idea of a cat door between the house and the garage if it is feasible!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as he wants to go there and can come in whenever he wants, and you are comfortable there is nothing he can get into out there then I would let him. Here in Minnesota my basement is uninsulated and unheated so temps can be in the 40’s in winter but my girl still goes down to sleep in the little house she has down there rather sleeping in the plush bed next to the heat register that she has upstairs. She is not a Main Coon, just a short hair but she does have extra padding to keep her warm.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cats love to go out in the garage. I guess it makes them feel closer to the outside. We have a breezeway that connects the house to the garage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you kindly everyone for your ASAP responses. Sure does make me feel a bit better. Makes sense, if they were uncomfortable going in the garage, they wouldn't. Just don't want them to get sick. Before I rescued them, they were a bit sick with fleas, worms, weren't neutered. Was happy to spend the vet expenses to get them back to health and be part of the family. I just love these two kitties, especially the Maine Coon (Tuxedo). Just a nice quiet affectionate kitty. Just to clear a bit: These were two outdoor strays, who are no longer outdoor kitties roaming around the neighborhood, they are 100% indoor and safe. I did start taking them for walks on a leash in the backyard which they did adjust to, but this year the ticks haven't been kind so thanks again for the help.

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cats love to go out in the garage. I guess it makes them feel closer to the outside. We have a breezeway that connects the house to the garage.
WoW, Upstate, NY, sure does get cold in the winter. Have you checked the temps in your garage, is it insulated. Just learning that Maine Coons love the cold weather with thick coats for warmth. I do appreciate your feedback.
image1 (3).JPG

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you kindly everyone for your ASAP responses. Sure does make me feel a bit better. Makes sense, if they were uncomfortable going in the garage, they wouldn't. Just don't want them to get sick. Before I rescued them, they were a bit sick with fleas, worms, weren't neutered. Was happy to spend the vet expenses to get them back to health and be part of the family. I just love these two kitties, especially the Maine Coon (Tuxedo). Just a nice quiet affectionate kitty. Just to clear a bit: These were two outdoor strays, who are no longer outdoor kitties roaming around the neighborhood, they are 100% indoor and safe. I did start taking them for walks on a leash in the backyard which they did adjust to, but this year the ticks haven't been kind so thanks again for the help.
Pic of my Special Maine Coon (Tuxedo)
image1 (3).JPG

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo likes to go out in the garage a lot. I think in a previous life before I adopted him he was let out after every meal because that's when he wants out. I let him out sometimes, but not a lot because I am afraid I will forget about him and I've heard horrible stories about cats climbing in the car engine and getting killed when the car started up. He's getting better at staying a shorter time and coming in when I call him.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pic of my Special Maine Coon (Tuxedo)
View attachment 205747
I don't see a problem with him wanting to stay in the cold. He's probably use to it and may prefer it. I had a short hair cat that was indoor outdoor and she wanted to stay out most of the time even if it was below freezing. I'm sure she had some where she went to stay warm but she was a tough cat and live to be around 15 yrs old.

I hate to be the one to say this but, I really don't think you have a Maine Coon. It looks to be more Siberian with the head shape. It's kind of hard to tell in that light, with the light behind him. Some more pics would be helpful. You should post some pics on the thread Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like? and see what some of the other members think.

curlyqpgh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FD06D399-9211-4E3F-AB55-DCD37EA49860.jpeg
I took in a stray that I suspect is some type of mix of one of the northern cats. I can’t tell the difference between a Maine Coon, a Siberian or a Norwegian Forest Cat. I just know he’s big and furry. He prefers the cold and seeks it out.

The place I rent was built in 1914 and is drafty. He picks the draftiest window for his winter window viewings.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 205774
I took in a stray that I suspect is some type of mix of one of the northern cats. I can’t tell the difference between a Maine Coon, a Siberian or a Norwegian Forest Cat. I just know he’s big and furry. He prefers the cold and seeks it out.

The place I rent was built in 1914 and is drafty. He picks the draftiest window for his winter window viewings.
He looks to be Siberian from what I can tell. The reflection of his eyes makes it kind of hard to tell. Post some pics of him on the Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like? and see what some other members say.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to be the one to say this but, I really don't think you have a Maine Coon. It looks to be more Siberian with the head shape.
sabian sabian and jimmycatlover jimmycatlover - I'd have to agree with Sabian here - he looks more Siberian to me as well, and in fact curlyqpgh curlyqpgh 's big beautiful boy has distinctly Siberian features as well (though in fairness, more photos would certainly help). Maine Coons have pronounced broad muzzles and clear-cut jowl lines; this is TCS member @mightyboosh 's long-line (Supreme Grand Champions and International Grand Champions) "Oliver" -

https://thecatsite.com/attachments/img_2033-jpg.189123/

and his stunning Siberian, "Chubchub" -

https://thecatsite.com/attachments/img_0145-jpg.192136/

showing similar facial features to both of the cats who now grace this thread. As to Norwegian Forest Cats, They're all angles and no curves, unlike Maine Coons and Siberians - with distinctly triangular head shaping. Here's my little Bob - an NFC:

bob_scottiecat.jpg

Sabian - I think "Siberian" is a good call; let's see if abyeb abyeb and @stefanz agree.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sabian - I think "Siberian" is a good call; let's see if abyeb abyeb and @stefanz agree.
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine - Thanks for commenting on this. I started not to say anything. As you know I'm trying to get better with breed identification but I'm pretty sure on my big breeds now. I would like to see more light in on his face and a side shot of the body but I felt pretty confident on this one. I hate to tell someone they have one breed when they think it's another. I'm anxious to see what abyeb and stefanz say though.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that Siberian is a good call; I would like to see more pictures highlighting his face, though. Even if they don't change our mind, then we get to see more pictures of this adorable kitty! :)