Maine Coon in Arizona

jennaniccole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very fluffy/long haired Maine Coon mix and we live in Tucson, Arizona where it's supposed to start getting in the 110s next week outside. I'm worried about her handling the heat. She's an indoor cat, but my apartment tends to be pretty warm (75-80 degrees F,) and she also loves to go for walks on her leash and just cries and cries until I take her outside. I always provide water and sometimes ice outside, but she doesn't seem interested. I assume if she really started overheating she'd just go back in, but I'm not sure. I try to take her out when it's cooler, but it's still often well into the 100s in the evening during the summer. Maybe I'm overly worried since she never does act hot, but any tips on how to keep her cool outside?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a lot of people with heavy coated cats will clip their coats to help them stay cool when the heat hits. That might be worth considering. This article has more ideas:-[article="29648"][/article]

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a maine coon. It doesn't get ridiculously hot here but yes, you could get her a lion cut or something for summer. I'm careful to only take my boy out in summer at dusk when it's super hot. You can also buy cooling pads now for the house, they're filled with a cooling gel for the kitties to lie on. The ice is a good idea. I freeze it in large tupperwear containers and add the whole giant thing to my boys water bowl.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that their coats actually help to keep them cool and shaving them down isn't helpful. It protects their skins from the sun. I would do some reading.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that their coats actually help to keep them cool and shaving them down isn't helpful. It protects their skins from the sun. I would do some reading.
I've never done it myself - it doesn't get anywhere near hot enough in the uk for it to be an issue. I'm only going off what other members here seem to do ;)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never done it myself - it doesn't get anywhere near hot enough in the uk for it to be an issue. I'm only going off what other members here seem to do ;)
I have a Siberian so I've done some concerned summer reading. So far have only decided to do nothing!

linstro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 yr old indoor/outdoor Maine coon mix. I live in PA and he suffered in the heat. Shaved his belly last summer but this year when I took him to vet for teeth cleaning, the vet suggested I have him totally shaved for summer. My boy Sidney loves his buzz cut and now even enjoys being brushed with a baby brush.