maine coon health questions?

cheshiresmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I have a couple of maine coon health questions and was hoping maybe some experienced owners could give some advice.

My big boy is around 9 months roughly....... hes a rescue so the shelter workers couldn't be too sure of his age when I got him.

One of the things i was wondering was, when do maine coons become fully grown?  My Cheshire is pretty huge but he doesn't even have all of his teeth yet. I can see and feel some of the little nubs coming in but shouldn't they already be in? How long did everyone else's maine coon take to fully mature?

The other question is about diet. I've heard that it's common for these guys to have sensitive tummies. Is that true? Nothing seems to agree with my poor guy :( It's not that he's picky..... quite the opposite actually he eats everything haha. I've tried several cat foods and the only thing that has seemed to help his diaherria is some digestive balance drops in his food, but i was wondering if maybe there was a better food out there?

Thanks so much :-)

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the shelter misjudged his age?  He should have all his teeth by the time he was about 6 months old, if not they he could be developmentally delayed for some reason.  Maine Coons are prone to heart problems, has he been checked out by a vet?  As for food, the best thing to feed kitties is canned food, if he has diarrhea he could have a  parasite or something.  If he's been checked out by the vet for it, has the vet suggested something like irritible or inflammatory bowel?

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons are "fully grown" by 3-4 years. It's not really measured by size, but more toward maturity.
Your kitty looks like he may have some maine coon in him, but not fully. He should have all teeth.
Concentrate on the problem of his diarrhea and healthier diet. When was he last at the vet? These "nubs" concern me. Is he updated on all shots?

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he came from a shelter, how do you know, he is a Maine Coon, or, did they just put that label on him. 

Maine Coons will grow until they are 5 yrs old. One of my boys is 17 lbs and the other is 15 lbs. They are big built kitties, they have a bigger bone structure.  I had one, that I lost, to HCM, which Maine Coons are prone too, that his back was up to my knees, he was that big. Thats why it is important to know, if you boy is really a Maine Coon, or the shelter just called him that. 

What do you feed? His diarea may be diet related.

I never heard, that Maine Coons, have sensative tummies. I don't think they are any more prone, than any other kitty.  I suspect, his is because of what you feed, some kitties, like humans, have digestive issues. 

Mine eat Blue Wilderness, its by Blue Buffalo, you can get it at Petsmart or Petco. I feed wet and dry. Its grain free, soy free, gluten free and by product free. 

Some kitties have digestive issues, when fed grain foods. 

Don't believe, the advertising, by Royal Canin, there is no such thing, as breed specific food, its what is in the ingredients, lol, they almost got me, when I got my first Maine Coon, until I read the ingredients, get into many the "fist fights", lol, with the Royal Canin reps at shows, they approach me, say, ah, I see you have a Maine Coon, as I am carrying him to his class, and they say, do you know........ sorry dude, your wrong, and after my class, I will show you.  Now I zero in on their stand, and listen, as they pitch to other Maine Coon owners, and I tell the owner, read, the ingredients on the bag. They pretty much hate me now, LOL. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshiresmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The people at the shelter told me  that he was most likely a maine coon and then the fact that he's probably tripled in size since we got him and he was already a big kitten to begin with I just kind of assumed they were right. plus he has some odd traits like he really likes the water and some other cute little quirks that non of my other cats have had.

That picture was from when we first got him he's grown and changed quite a lot since then.  I didn't realize that him not having all his teeth fully grown in was such a concern. I'll have to take him in to the vet.  he's up to date on all of his shots. I'll have to take him in for a check up make sure everything is normal.

thanks so much :)

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a Maine Coon. 

http://www.cfainc.org/Breeds/BreedsKthruR/MaineCoon.aspx

A rescue person told me once, they put breed labels on the kitties, for whatever reason, they get adopted faster. 

There are alot of large LH kitties out there, that are not breed kitties, but because Maine Coon is so common, to the public, everybody thinks they have one, lol. 

Weather your kitty is a Maine Coon or not, he is.....a very lucky kitty, who now has a very good home, and is very loved by his new mommy. 

The teeth I didn't know, so had to look it up, lol. 

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2121&aid=367

As cprcheetah said, if his teeth don't look right, its best to let a vet examine him. Its also possible, if he is a rescue, something may have happened to him. The vet can best tell you.

What do you feed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshiresmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awwww thank you :-) I feed him simply nourish kitten food. I guess its petsmarts version of blue buffalo. The ingredients look pretty legit and thats normally what i go by when i buy food, but it doesn't seem to be helping with his poop issue :-( I've been giving him some stomach probiotic drops that seem to help a little but not as much as i would like. He's normal except for the poop issue so i dont think hes actually sick I just feel bad for him and his poor red butt haha.