Main Coon Mix?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a domestic black tabby with white, not sure the pattern or length of fur since his body is kind of hidden in the photo.
Very nice, distinct markings on him.

Most cats are domestic and almost impossible he's a mix. Lots of people think their kittens are a mix but honestly, the odds just don't add up.

Purebreed cats are only about 2-5% of all cats in the entire world over. And there are only about 70 breeds, some countries don't even have breeders of certain types either. There aren't purebreed cats running around randomly procreating throughout the world. Good breeders keep strict control over their cats - it's a costly business to run and owners don't pay thousands to then allow their cat to run around uncontrolled. Let alone most kittens go home already spayed/neutered these days.

A cat is always just considered domestic unless there are papers to back up their lineage for several generations. You can't go by appearance since cats are generally speaking, more alike than not. They have not been domesticated long enough to produce cats that look wildly different from each other the way dogs do (ie: Lhaso Apso compared to a Great Dane). Just because a cat has long fur, big ears and tufted feet doesn't make it a Maine Coon or a mix thereoff - those traits are easily found in cats all over the world. It has to have ALL the specific traits of a Maine Coon PLUS the pedigree to be called one.

This does not make domestic cats lesser cats at all, though. Each cat is wonderful in it's own way and there's no need to assign a breed to make that true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mikaili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a domestic black tabby with white, not sure the pattern or length of fur since his body is kind of hidden in the photo.
Very nice, distinct markings on him.

Most cats are domestic and almost impossible he's a mix. Lots of people think their kittens are a mix but honestly, the odds just don't add up.

Purebreed cats are only about 2-5% of all cats in the entire world over. And there are only about 70 breeds, some countries don't even have breeders of certain types either. There aren't purebreed cats running around randomly procreating throughout the world. Good breeders keep strict control over their cats - it's a costly business to run and owners don't pay thousands to then allow their cat to run around uncontrolled. Let alone most kittens go home already spayed/neutered these days.

A cat is always just considered domestic unless there are papers to back up their lineage for several generations. You can't go by appearance since cats are generally speaking, more alike than not. They have not been domesticated long enough to produce cats that look wildly different from each other the way dogs do (ie: Lhaso Apso compared to a Great Dane). Just because a cat has long fur, big ears and tufted feet doesn't make it a Maine Coon or a mix thereoff - those traits are easily found in cats all over the world. It has to have ALL the specific traits of a Maine Coon PLUS the pedigree to be called one.

This does not make domestic cats lesser cats at all, though. Each cat is wonderful in it's own way and there's no need to assign a breed to make that true.
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I took him to the vet who confirmed that he is a Main Coon Mix. His mother is Main Coon and his father is a Domestic cat. He has all of the characteristics of the Main Coon with Tuffed ears, body shape, thick fur and fur between his paw pads. The picture I sent was not a real good example and he is only 7 weeks old. The opinion is that he will grow to resemble his mother who is a pure bred Main Coon. I took him to the same vet that sees his mother. Thanks again for reaching out.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable guy😻❤
He does look like some mc mix kittens I have seen pics of so he does have some mc features. It is very unlikely he would be a purebred and roaming around outside or even a mix. But it does happen sometimes. It is hard to tell when they are little but even mc pb kittens have some distinct features. You already know the mom is a pedigree cat with papers etc. then you know he’s a mix.

Also people dump their cats outside or drop them at shelters, even pb cats, they don’t spay and neuter them, not all breeders spay and neuter before the kittens leave.

And also have to consider that these the forest cats and many other breeds were living naturally in the areas where they came from before anybody decided to breed them so domestic cats can have similar features too.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I took him to the vet who confirmed that he is a Main Coon Mix. His mother is Main Coon and his father is a Domestic cat. He has all of the characteristics of the Main Coon with Tuffed ears, body shape, thick fur and fur between his paw pads. The picture I sent was not a real good example and he is only 7 weeks old. The opinion is that he will grow to resemble his mother who is a pure bred Main Coon. I took him to the same vet that sees his mother. Thanks again for reaching out.
Cute kitten, looks just like my very first cat named Mickey! A vet can't actually confirm breed, only pedigree papers can do that and vets only have whatever owners tell them to go on fwiw, they don't get any special training on breeds since that's such a tiny portion of the cat population. The breed is Maine Coon, but fluffy ears and furry bits don't denote breed in any way, especially as MC like most breeds were created from cats with those traits and there's no shortage of similar ones running about. MCs are prone to several health conditions, was the vet able to tell you if the mother was health tested? I'm guessing not since this seems to be a byb situation, most ethical cat breeders don't sell intact purebred cats and a good breeder wouldn't let their MC cross with a domestic, much less let the kittens go so young, which would make me more concerned for the possibility of issues. Hip dysplasia and heart issues seem to be common so you will want to watch your kittens weight and talk to your vet about that.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This might help anyone wanting to know more about Maine Coon Cat if they revisit this thread 😻
There are some inaccuracies with that article; spelling, repetitive information, and such things as this:

" Like other cats, they need to be kept in a spacious cage, which should have plenty of food and water. Unless you are happy to let them out in the house, provided they are litter trained and don’t scratch your furniture. "

WTH? Advocating keeping cats in cages? I think not. The entire thing sounds like it was written by a bot.

They also neglect to mention one of the largest cat clubs in the US - CFA.

For more technical info please go to the CFA or TICA sites in the US or, GCCF in other parts of the world.