Mad Cow/Pet Food

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Sure it's about money. Business generally doesn't do anything that will eat into the profit margin unless they are forced to by regulation.
Not so in my practice or experience with some of the companies I purchase wholesale from...not to hijack this thread though.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Let me put it this way - the WHO is an international organization which doesn't appear to depend on hearsay reports or self-aggrandizement, so I trust its conclusions more than the personal opinions of self-proclaimed experts. As far as beef is concerned - the doubts many people have regarding its safety could also be extended to mutton/lamb (scrapie) and venison, so those who are particularly concerned may want to take advantage of meat products from organic farms.
Well said, thank you. And thank you for that link which I'm off to read. XoCats - I will post another link for you, of a 2004 study, describing the number of cases of Alzheimers Disease (AD) in India, and why they think it is *lower*...it does still occur there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
CNN currently has a story about the risk of mad cow disease in the U.S.:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/06/25....ap/index.html
I don't know - this is something I'm a bit concerned about, because I live in Europe, and remember the total panic, and dire predictions of a pandemic of vCJD a decade ago, but that has failed to materialize. My state seems to average about one positive BSE test a month, and, oddly enough, a goat tested positive for it (not scrapie). There have been no reported cases of FSE here. I tend to buy cat food either from North America, or that made from "organic" meat. We now have a few local brands of the latter.
I don't believe you can rule out all danger to your cats, but it seems to be very small, and, as I mentioned above, I'm not absolutely certain that other meats are safer than beef, if, as the theory goes, cows originally got BSE from being fed animal (sheep) meal, and deer can suffer from CWD. Avian flu has also managed to "jump species" in Asia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the CNN link JCat.
It is reassuring to know that the downer cow found last year, was kept out of the animal food-supply chain. I agree with your assesment about meat in general.