Mabel on Christmas Question

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Christmas is getting closer, I'm starting to wonder what to do with Mabel on Christmas Eve. I've let her and my kids destroy the tree for the last few weeks but I want to redecorate it on Christmas Eve. Then once "Santa" comes, I will need a way to keep her away from the tree and the presents. She likes wrapping paper so I think she will be clawing and scratching at the gifts all night.

What do I do with her once we go to bed? Every night normally when we go to bed, Mabel gets very hyper and runs back and forth across the house for an hour or so. I really have no idea what we can do so she can't get at the tree so I am hoping someone has an idea.

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The running around for an hour sounds like Mabel saying she had energy to burn and wants to play.

I'd try playing with her, and I mean really getting her running and jumping till she doesnt want to play anymore right before bed.  

Then she'll be so tired she should just sleep.

As for the tree we had an old dog gate/ pen ready but (knock on wood) they have left it alone so far.

I've read you can also make sure the tree isnt near anything they can leap from or have a desire to climb to, like the top of a book case seem very temping and a tree makes a great ladder.

You could also try aluminum foil on the floor around the tree, cats dont seem to like that.

These things might work over time, but I'm not sure if it'll be a quick solution sense we are so close to christmas.  Some cats take a bit to get the idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She plays most of the day with my kids and then sleeps from about 7:30-10 when my kids go to sleep but before we do.

There's nothing right around the tree but Mabel climbs up the tree or swats at the ornaments until they fall off and then she chases them around the house. I'm afraid she's going to end up scratching and unwrapping all of my kids gifts before they get to them.