Lynx Point??

willowlock

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few girls from my vet office have told me Bunny is a lynx point, another said lilac?? She was born without a tail, not sure if that matters but interesting nonetheless.. Opinions? ◡̈ (baby picture for bonus 🥹🐰)

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lynx point is the coat patterning. Basically a tabby cat with the color point gene.

Lilac described the coloring.

Lilac lynx point if you want to put it all together. Technically, they compliment rather than contradict each other. Neither is breed though, that would be shorthair domestic cat. So if you really want to put it together she is a Lilac lynx point shorthair domestic cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowlock

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cool! Im so curious to see how much darker her face is going to get as she grows! She’s already so much darker than she was when she was a baby!!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few girls from my vet office have told me Bunny is a lynx point, another said lilac?? She was born without a tail, not sure if that matters but interesting nonetheless.. Opinions? ◡̈ (baby picture for bonus 🥹🐰)
A beauty😻 I would say she is a lynx point, maybe blue lynx point but there is some red maybe on her nose. Lynx point come in the three point colors seal, blue and lilac. Her ears tips look a bit too dark for lilac maybe. Here is a pic of a traditional siamese pb seal lynx point and one that says it is lilac, a wedge type siamese, and last a blue lynx point mix which is half siamese and have feral tortie.
IMG_9463.jpeg

IMG_9464.jpeg

IMG_9466.jpeg

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Pointed cats are born white, with the color on the points developing later. The reason is the color develops on the cooler "points", i.e. face, ears, legs, tail. As cats age their entire body can cool down so you start seeing more color in the body, but they're still pointed cats.

As Meowmee Meowmee said, lynx is the tabby pattern. Points can come in any color. Seal (black), red, chocolate, cinnamon (different from the sex-linked red) are the main dense colors. Dilute of seal is blue. Dilute of red is cream. Dilute of chocolate is lilac. Dilute of cinnamon is fawn.

There are a lot of genetic charts out there. One of the easiest to read that I've found is here.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pointed cats are born white, with the color on the points developing later. The reason is the color develops on the cooler "points", i.e. face, ears, legs, tail. As cats age their entire body can cool down so you start seeing more color in the body, but they're still pointed cats.

As Meowmee Meowmee said, lynx is the tabby pattern. Points can come in any color. Seal (black), red, chocolate, cinnamon (different from the sex-linked red) are the main dense colors. Dilute of seal is blue. Dilute of red is cream. Dilute of chocolate is lilac. Dilute of cinnamon is fawn.

There are a lot of genetic charts out there. One of the easiest to read that I've found is here.
I forgot about chocolate somehow and red and cinnamon etc. In some cat associations lynx point are not labeled as siamese but as color points and they also only accept the original point colors and the dilutes.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I forgot about chocolate somehow and red and cinnamon etc. In some cat associations lynx point are not labeled as siamese but as color points and they also only accept the original point colors and the dilutes.
Colorpoint is the gene that causes the color changing.

Siamese is a specific breed that was the original document cat type with colorpoint. All colorpoints will have Siamese at some distance in their ancestry because it is the source but most are so far removed it would be a stretch to call them Siamese. A LOT of people tend to call everything colorpoint siamese when really it should be call them all colorpoint unless they actually are siamese.

Lynx point wouldn't be called siamese by associationz because the pattern isn't recognized as a siamese coat pattern in showing so it doesn't get lumped into the every colorpoint is siamese mentality. It's kind of like a fluffy colorpoint gets labeled as ragdoll even if they aren't randomly or a colorpoint with white gets called snowshoe even if they aren't.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes!! I’ve noticed her face getting super dark over the last couple weeks!! Crazy to see what she’d look like with a tail 🐰
Colourpoint cats tend to get darker as they get older. Their coats are actually temperature sensitive and get darker the colder they are, which is why the colour is strongest on the 'points' of the cat - the snout, ears, legs, and tail - as these are also the cooler areas of the body. It's like their coats are thermal imaging.

I would agree that she is a lilac or blue lynx point, but what really matters is that, tail or no tail, she is a stunningly beautiful cat!

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the partially blue eyes point to some burmese in there with the points. they sometimes have blue green eyes. it looks like your kitteh has a ton of personality and is all up in all the business lol. what an adorababy. :)

here is my long haired lynx point from ages 3mo to current 8 months. he's really darkening up. he's a seal point. I think he might be a mink. he does have blue green eyes too.. and he is exceptionally soft. (other than some weird rough thick guard hairs on his spine that have been getting a lot less noticeable as he ages)
basepaws and observation says he's at least partially ragdoll. and his personality realllly does point that way. we call the way he acts when you pick him up or put him down liquid rubbering. lol. I think he's going to be quite dark when he is older. he's also going to be very big. he is longer than our 15 pound not fat cat and longer than my siberian. he's still doesn't weigh as much as they do and a lot of things about him are still kitten sized but he is LONGGG lol.
PXL_20231023_204100558.MP.jpg
PXL_20230602_074833525.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20231023_204220052.MP.jpg
PXL_20230602_074815059.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230902_151432363.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thefiresidecat your kitty could be part rag doll since that breed is long fluffy & Carrie’s the color point gene. Does your cat go into zen mode when held belly up like a baby?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thefiresidecat your kitty could be part rag doll since that breed is long fluffy & Carrie’s the color point gene. Does your cat go into zen mode when held belly up like a baby?
we call it liquid rubbering. his body loses all tone doesn't matter if you hold him like a baby or otherwise. forget about trying to fireman carry him. not enough help from him. he also will slide off surfaces. laps, tables, chairs. we're finding we really have to apply more padding with him in the house.. if you try to set him down 90 percent of the time he doesn't find his legs and just continues the flop. we have to be very very careful to not address him like the other cats.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable and "Bunny" really suits her well

Blessings to you and your Bunny,many many long healthy happy years ❤

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thefireside Jackie’s sister is part rag doll. She has the fur texture/length and barrel chest. She goes completely limp in a sedated zone when held belly up. She falls off the edges of chairs. She relaxes when held belly up, even when it is done by my hyper niece that she hates.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
a fun little progression of bunny’s features coming in…
6 weeks —-> 3 months —-> 6 months ◡̈

what a sweetie! bunnies eyes are basically the same colour as my claudes eyes. looks straight blue in most light but if you take a pic in full sun its that kind of mix it's so much fun to do the time lapse photos with colour points! Bunny also has crossed eyes like my Claude does. how does bunny do with jumping and things? claude has issues with it. hoping he starts to find his way easier as he gets older and more used to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowlock

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what a sweetie! bunnies eyes are basically the same colour as my claudes eyes. looks straight blue in most light but if you take a pic in full sun its that kind of mix it's so much fun to do the time lapse photos with colour points! Bunny also has crossed eyes like my Claude does. how does bunny do with jumping and things? claude has issues with it. hoping he starts to find his way easier as he gets older and more used to it.
Bunny doesn’t have a tail, and that combined with being so crosseyed, she is the clumsiest cat i’ve ever seen 😂 she falls off of stuff, misses things when she’s jumping, definitely a clumsy girl. I actually asked my vet if she was concerned with her vision at all because of how crossed they are, but she had no concerns and said it’s super common for blue eyed white cats!!

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bunny doesn’t have a tail, and that combined with being so crosseyed, she is the clumsiest cat i’ve ever seen 😂 she falls off of stuff, misses things when she’s jumping, definitely a clumsy girl. I actually asked my vet if she was concerned with her vision at all because of how crossed they are, but she had no concerns and said it’s super common for blue eyed white cats!!

we are making a just be sure appt for claude to reaffirm it's just that lol. but yeah he's just like that. i'm used to super graceful precise cats. he's the first crosseyed cat i've ever had. super sweet tho lol