Lynx point?gene throw back?

joanne20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Got our "lollypop"(named by my 3 year old daughter) for free off a advert for free kittens. Some how out of 160 requests for the kitten I got the call to own this beautiful kitten. I find it extremely hard to find information on how shes managed to be this way! I didn't see the mum how ever it was just a generic house cat no special breed and the other kittens were tabby and black (from what I can remember) can someone please let me know what sort of markings she has? you can see so well but shes got little white mittens and seems like her tabby markings darken just before the mittens, her tail and ears are both dark. and her eyes are blue and refect red so they will stay blue I think.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yes,  this little cutie is a lynx point (AKA tabby point) .   In these photos, at least as seen on my monitor,  she appears to be a Blue Lynx Point and White,  which would mean the darkest color on her points will be a dark grey.   But she is still very young,  their color keeps developing.   plus the lighting could possibly be making the color look a different tone.  If it turns out that her darkest markings are more black or very very dark brown,  she'll be Seal Lynx Point and White.

It looks like it's only her feet that will be white ;  in that case, another way to say the pattern is to use "Mitted"  instead of "and White".   so  "Blue Lynx Point Mitted".

& yes her eyes will stay blue.

The pointed gene that causes this pattern ( abbreviated as cs) is one of those recessives that can hide for many generations and then pop up and surprise people! 

It takes 2 copies of cs  ,  one from each parent,  for the kitten to have a pointed pattern.   If a cat inherits just one cs,  it won't show in their looks but they can pass it on to a kitten.  If 2 cats who both have at least one cs   mate and they both give it to a kitten, making the kitten cs/cs ,  the kitten will be born white and will then turn out pointed.  

The gene came originally from the cats of southeast Asia but    over the past 130 years has  been spread widely through cat populations in Western countries by Siamese and their descendents ,  including cats of other breeds who some way or other got the gene from Siamese,  and also including the many random-bred cats ( domestic shorthairs/ domestic longhairs  aka moggies) who are either pointed themselves or carry the gene. 

Congrats on your new addition!   I hope we'll get to see more of her.  She is darling.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful little kitten. Congratulations on your new family member.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joanne20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
shes our little bundle of joy! my daughter wanted a white kitten called lollypop and usually im all for adopting a kitten that needs a home what ever the colour.but this time we hunted out a white kitten and thankfully lollypop was white enough to pass as a white kitten but not completely white which would mean sunblock and possibly deff etc in new zealand. just was so lucky we got her. the man said he had another family lined up who had stopped contact and he had 160 inquires in one day! so blessed shes a awesome kitty and still havent seen her marking on any other free moggy cats so pretty xx

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I'm glad she  was able to "pass as white"  
   You can also tell your daughter that she was all white when she was born...maybe she will think of her kitty changing color as sort of magical. ( Actually it is sort of magical to watch how they change from when they're born.)   Also tell her that I think Lollypop is a GREAT name for this kitty! .

In the U.S. the pointed pattern is fairly common in moggies,  probably because Siamese became very popular here in the mid 20th century,  and back then fewer people had their cats neutered , and  people allowed unaltered Siamese to roam around and mate with the local moggies,   and for a Siamese tomcat allowed to roam,  it apparently wasn't unusual  for him to become the dominant tom in the neighborhood.  Then their descendents kept spreading this gene around.    In addition,  other breeds were crossed to Siamese to get the pointed pattern ,  and  some of those also mated with the random-bred cats.  So by today there are quite a few pointed moggies running around.    Many of them are mistakenly called "Siamese"  but in most cases their most recent Siamese ancestor was probably many years ago.

I had a blue lynx ( tabby) point and white moggy.  wonderful sweet cat.

Maybe it is less common in New Zealand for various reasons.    but Lollypop shows that it does happen. 

If she had any pedigreed ancestors in recent generations,  my guess would be maybe a pointed British Shorthair .

She looks like she might possibly be silver.   It's hard to tell from some photos of a young tabby point kitten.  but the undercoat would be white, and the roots of her other hairs would be white.  and it would probably give her a lighter color look  than she otherwise might have as an adult.   

joanne20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your reply.yes I dont think siamese cats are commin here at all. if any! ill look on the new zealands equivalent of ebay! mainly ragdolls and persian .most of the notiable mixed breeds are ragdoll cross with the local tom! thank you. yes shes very interesting as her colour changes in the light also.seems more cream during the day and more blue/silver at nite. my daughters only 3 so will be funny when shes a teenager and has a cat that she HAD TO CALL LOLLYPOP. (or "sparkle" came out a few times too) ill post some more photos as she grows. x

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she could be either part Ragdoll or part pointed Persian ( sometimes called Himalayan)   since they both have that gene that would make a tabby cat turn out like her.  

Your daughter sounds creative with her cat names!   I like Sparkle too!    Probably when she is a teenager her friends will have pets that they gave funny names as small kids too. 

joanne20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lollypop update! sad to say shr got ahold of naproxen which is an anti ibflamatory drug. with vet care and lots of fluids she seems to be doing well. havent had fluids since friday so almost a week and shes still bouncing around! one lucky kitty but still on special care and food/water watch. hopeful will continue to live a full happy life! (weve already had to rescue her from our tree!) shes a handful!! love her xx

Last edited by a moderator:

joanne20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh and her nose leather is going pink with a black outline?