Lymphnode removal (recovery/risks/cost)

cactor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a cytology last week and the results came back with abnormal cells. The report came back with no signs of infection.  They said it's probable histiocytic neoplasia but they can't rule out granulomatous/hystiocytic lymphdenitis.  So the next step is to get the lymphnode removed and go from there. I have a consult with the surgeon on Wednesday. My questions to anyone who's ever deal with this:  How is the recovery? How risky is the surgery?  What's the estimate cost? I'd very much appreciate any advice. Thank you

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So was your consult yesterday?  So sorry you didn't get any replies.  I've only dealt with this in a human. 

As far as costs go, I would say every Vet is different, so if you aren't satisfied with your current Vet's costs, call around, BUT, sometimes you get what you pay for, so you might get names of Vets from friends before you call for prices. 

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cat had a cytology last week and the results came back with abnormal cells. The report came back with no signs of infection.  They said it's probable histiocytic neoplasia but they can't rule out granulomatous/hystiocytic lymphdenitis.  So the next step is to get the lymphnode removed and go from there. I have a consult with the surgeon on Wednesday. My questions to anyone who's ever deal with this:  How is the recovery? How risky is the surgery?  What's the estimate cost? I'd very much appreciate any advice. Thank you
I am a human doctor in Australia, not a vet and I cannot give advice about veterinary fees, particulary in other countries and  you should ask your vet about the costs.  As illness in cats maybe quite different from humans, any advice that I give about cats should be checked with your vet.

In general, and remember that this advice is subject to the surgeon's advice, removal of a lymph node is not major surgery and, unless there is any infection or complication, the procedure involves only a small incision, the removal of the lymph node, stitching up again and awakening from the anaesthesia.  The cat may well be able to go home the next day if all has gone well.  

The removal of stitches depends upon whether soluble stitches, that will not need to be removed, are used, or whether insoluble stitches that do have to be removed are used.  If the latter, then this will usually be in a week.  This is a relatively minor procedure.

Further management and investigations depend upon the result of the lymph node biopsy and your surgeon will advise you on this.  Histiocytic neoplasia is a malignancy -  but granulomatous/hystiocytic lymphadenitis is not. It is usually due to "Cat scratch Disease" due to infection with a bacterium that responds to antibiotics.  It is relatively benign in humans with adequate immunity and often settles down without treatment.  

I do not practice feline medicine so you would have to discuss the further management with the veterinary surgeon.

With all best wishes,

Geoffrey

Last edited: