Luxor and his ongoing pooping issues

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The box your dad made is nice...I like their room, too.

What about maybe putting a litter box in that spot, with just a piece of carpet in it. See if he might use that, then add just a little bit of sand on top of the carpet piece, then more sand, more sand...until the carpet is covered. I think I saw that 'trick' somewhere, can't recall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,

Luxor had another 'accident' last night - it was right in front of the litter box this time - i'd try putting a litter box where he goes - but it's in a different place every time.

tonight i went with him to watch him pee. and then he got out - he meowed (he always has announced that it is time to poop). he got in the box, squatted but then he got out to try somewhere else - I put him BACK in the box and then he went.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rina_Marie
Oh, I see from the picture now... it was a little difficult to see it with the overhead shot. I might try getting rid of the litter box your dad made, since he doesn't really like it anyway, and getting a very long box (a tupperware container) that will cover the spot he's already going in, and so that it's open and he doesn't feel claustriphobic (sp?) I know thats no fun, since you have a beautiful box your dad made, but I guess it would be better than cleaning up cat poop, if it works. :shrug:
I agree with Rina Marie. It looks as if he wants to go into the litter pan there, but he does not like the wooden box. Perhaps it has an odor he doesn't like? I bet if you move it and put a pan there, he will change his evil ways.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the suggestion of putting some kind of mat by the opening where he poops.
Could be that he's just gotten used to pooping there.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think he might be a little constipated? Or maybe was once? Since it's just poop that is the problem, and her relates that to the box...

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that he was constipated at the beginning - but I've seen him have the runs too. I am begining to wonder if it's just a nasty habit. He wasn't constipated when I caught him today. This weekend I'll try moving the box and putting a pan where the box was. It might be that stoli used the box for 4 months (the wooden thing, not that the pan was there for 4 months!!!!) and it smells more like him. Stoli uses the third box. Luxor seems to gravitate to the original and second box.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior Ox has not used a litter box in a long time-we will pee outside or in the garage. He will poop either in there garage (ignoring the box in the garage) or at the same spot in the kitchen by the sink. I could "measure" the spot in the kitchen because its gotta be within an inch or two of the same place.
Even if I clean the floor well there must still be an odor he can detect or its just habit??
You can go to a fabric shop and buy some fabric like stuff that can be used to cover picnic tables. Its kind of plastic-ish and easy to clean. I used it in the basement underneath the litter boxes. That could assist in the clean-up.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just filled the box that luxor doesn't 'like' with cat attract, we'll see how that works.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well - so far so good. . .he's been using that box only and not the other box that has the 'dusty' clay litter.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so too - I'm thinking that it 'might' since Luxor totally avoids the other one now - well, he'll get in it and play in the dusty clay then "make dirt" LOL in the other box. . . .As I say this he's running up stairs like he's got to go to the box. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .please please please go in the box. I clean it practically 5 times a day now. two in the morning and at least two at night. . .

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well,

luxor did it again,

ALL the boxes were clean, even the cat attract one. so I've moved the covered litterbox out of the room where he has pooping issues. DH and I feel that it has to be the covered litterbox. It's the only one he has issues with. And it seems that he's fine when he's alone but if stoli and he are play/chase/hunting and he's gotta go - i think he THINKS he's vulnerable. Anyone agree?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

well,

luxor did it again,

ALL the boxes were clean, even the cat attract one. so I've moved the covered litterbox out of the room where he has pooping issues. DH and I feel that it has to be the covered litterbox. It's the only one he has issues with. And it seems that he's fine when he's alone but if stoli and he are play/chase/hunting and he's gotta go - i think he THINKS he's vulnerable. Anyone agree?
That does sound possible. Now he's younger than Stoli? That makes sense.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to tell you. But if you come up with the answer, please let me know! One of my cats (Jazzy) is doing this. He poops on throw rugs or area rugs. Poop only. He pees in the litter box fine. In fact he poops in the litter box fine if I take away all the throw or area rugs. It's starting to wear on me, actually. I've tried cleaning the boxes more often, taking the lid off one of them as you did and now I have a new area rug in living room. So I have to keep him shut in my walk in closet during the day when I'm at work. It's a giant closet (about 6 foot by 10 foot) with litter box water and a nice clothes basket for him to lay in. So he doesn't suffer. But I'd like to also find the answer.

Every once in awhile Peaches will have a mild pooping issue.
I'll hear her cry out and I know she is in the bathtub pooping. The bathtub doesn't bother me as much because it is easy to clean. Plus she doesn't do it all the time.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That does sound possible. Now he's younger than Stoli? That makes sense.
yup he's about 4 months younger than stoli. . .and just recently they've been rumble and tumbling and the roles have reversed to luxor being MUCH more dominant. So i think he's really trying to assert his power.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I don't know what to tell you. But if you come up with the answer, please let me know! One of my cats (Jazzy) is doing this. He poops on throw rugs or area rugs. Poop only. He pees in the litter box fine. In fact he poops in the litter box fine if I take away all the throw or area rugs. It's starting to wear on me, actually. I've tried cleaning the boxes more often, taking the lid off one of them as you did and now I have a new area rug in living room. So I have to keep him shut in my walk in closet during the day when I'm at work. It's a giant closet (about 6 foot by 10 foot) with litter box water and a nice clothes basket for him to lay in. So he doesn't suffer. But I'd like to also find the answer.

I'll hear her cry out and I know she is in the bathtub pooping. The bathtub doesn't bother me as much because it is easy to clean. Plus she doesn't do it all the time.
I would definitely try the cat attract litter or additive. Luxor really seems to like that. And I've had to resort to cleaning the litter boxes at least 4/5 times a day. . .obviously I can't clean them when I'm not home but I clean like a mad woman when I am home.

But as you probably already know - rule out any health issues first. If this works (uncovered boxes) I'll let you know. But as I've ruled just about everything else out - I think it's a "I don't want another cat to walk in on me so i better just do it here while they aren't around" syndrome.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I know you've been here quite a while, so I'm sure you tried this, but what about changing the litter. Maybe he doesn't like digging after he poops, or just the feel under his paws?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

I would definitely try the cat attract litter or additive. Luxor really seems to like that. And I've had to resort to cleaning the litter boxes at least 4/5 times a day. . .obviously I can't clean them when I'm not home but I clean like a mad woman when I am home.

But as you probably already know - rule out any health issues first. If this works (uncovered boxes) I'll let you know. But as I've ruled just about everything else out - I think it's a "I don't want another cat to walk in on me so i better just do it here while they aren't around" syndrome.
You know, I just had another thought. Smudge often doesn't "cover up" his poo because he's working on being the dominant cat. What about Feliway? Or a feliway plug in beside the litter box!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Youre kitty looks so much like my Rascal, but my Rascal is a wee bit heavier and more gold in color.

Have you tried "Cat Attract"? That could help.

Have you tried Nature's Miracle? I can't live without this stuff, it's amazing! Whatever product you are using to remove pee odors or poop stains, you need to really let the product soak through all the way to the bottom of the carpet and padding so that it can efficiently remove all odors and stains.

Also it might be smart to have a vet check him out to eliminate any potential health problems

I dont' think it's habit related, but odor related. Cats will go where they can smell it, that's why you need a good product like Nature's Miracle, to get rid of the odor. I know I have mentioned Nature's Miracle in many of my posts, but I can't help it. I am a huge fan and with good reason. Used appropriately, it works!

Also how many litter boxes do you have? YOu may need to have more than one,. I.E. One where he can pee and one where he can poop. Some kitties are just finicky that way. Cats are extremely clean animals.

Also what kind of litter are you using? Cats can be pretty picky. He might be ok to pee on it, but might not like it if he has to dig to cover it. Cat litter can make all the difference.

I am currently using Nature's Miracle Cat Litter and Swheat Scoop mixed together. What a marriage!

Please let us know how things turn out.

Shanynne
Extreme Kitty Lover

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of me going back through all the things i've tried as i'm half asleep (6:23 am) just browse back through the thread and you'll notice that I've tried all the stuff you suggested. I'm going to go with Kim's suggestion and try Feliway. He DEFINITELY is trying to be the dominant cat.