Lung infection question

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So to encourage Tigger a bit, I let her have a little explore of the garden (her lung infection is affecting her mental health I suspect, I think being inside 24/7 was starting a depression in her)

She's really perked up at the moment after that smell, however a neighbour allowed a older kitten they have to explore, who came across the road exploring, and Tigger thought he wanted to be friends and went over as far as her body would allow her, wanting to say hello - they did not get close enough to each other for physical contact as the kitten saw me and got ready to run off, he then decided that Tigger was a big scary coming to get him, and puffed himself up and fled back to his own territory

My question is, them both smelling the smell of each other, could Tigger of passed on her lung infection to the kitten, just by smelling his smell and him smelling her smell? They did not physically get close to each other.

Also, by supervising Tigger outside, could I of managed to make her lung infection worse by taking her outside for some fresh air to improve her mood? I think that was why she wouldn't eat tonight, cause after I took her outside she did manage to eat some dinner, after refusing it before I tried taking her outside so she could smell the wildlife smells outside ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline respiratory infections of any kind are usually spread by direct contact. This usually requires that secretions be exchanged, which can also happen if food is shared, or utensils, dishes, or some toys. People can also transmit the infection from one cat to another if they have touched the infected cat and then pat another one. It does not sound as if there was direct contact between the two cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the lung infection could spread between cats, would the vet of said Willow could catch it from Tigger and to keep them seperate?

Willow has never shown any signs of anything being wrong, she's around Tigger all the time

idk if Tigger could of passed anything on just by being outside, to the kitten, being as Willow hasn't got anything, idk if I'm setting myself off

something is wrong with my brain if I still have one

I don't have a heart, I left that with Ebony at the vets on her last day

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If it is a contagious, infectious disease that is not covered by standard vaccines the two cats should probably have been separated. I had a massive outbreak several years ago after I brought in a cat who had been treated and cleared by the vet and who had been kept outside in a dog crate for the two weeks that she was treated with antibiotics. Did the vet give you a name for what Tigger has? If Willow has been fine for this long, possibly the risk of infection is past. I doubt that the kitten outside is in any danger.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
So vet thinks she might have fluid on her lungs, or a mass
This is from your previous thread. Did they ever determine what it was? It sounds as if she was given a steroid type medication like prednisone/prednisolone which is usually used for inflammation.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet said lung infection, there was never any mention of separating my two girls and Willows not shown signs of anything wrong, Tiggers on the tablets that sound like pregnant

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lung infection was what they said after the x-ray cause apparently there was fuzziness on the x-ray that she decided was infection in her lungs

Vet herself saw how fast Tigger was breathing, although she didn't get to see the worst of the breathing attacks

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would not worry about it because the vet would definitely have told you if there was a risk to Willow. This may not even be an infection exactly which is why pred was used and not an antibiotic.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is Tigger going to die from it?

I should be asleep but brain will not quit this .....

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did I do something wrong that made Tigger get this lung thing wrong?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had a little wander around the garden again today, but its completely wiped her energy out to the point she can't even stand up for very long, meaning she's not eaten much, I haven't needed to handfeed her but I've had the plate by her so she can manage to eat a little bit

she has had some food, but she very quickly loses energy with eating

Vet is seeing her first thing on Monday