Lump with hair on kitten’s spayed incision?

Twilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was spayed a couple weeks ago, and now she has a small lump on her tummy. It looks like an ingrown human hair, but her kitty hair is so fine it looks.. scary. What is this?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didnt post this to my Instagram story btw i just needed the camera to work annnnd dont have a camera app

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The picture is not that clear...not your fault. Is there any sign of infection, swelling? Is the cat bothered by it or trying to scratch it?

Twilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is swelling slightly i think. It feels like a grain of rice. She doesnt seem bothered, but it looks quite scary to me

Twilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The picture is not that clear...not your fault. Is there any sign of infection, swelling? Is the cat bothered by it or trying to scratch it?
forgot to mention- its not just a spot. There is literally some sort of thick hair like thing poking out of it?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be hair. The spay surgery involves sewing up the places inside where her hysterectomy was performed as well as closing up the hole through which the vet performs the surgery. Often, they don't use sutures on the outside (they use surgical glue), but do use them inside. I can't see from the photo, but one of the inside sutures might be poking up thorough the hole in the skin. Probably not a problem, but a call or visit to the vet would be a good idea. Is the thing in question the little black spot right next to her green tattoo line?

As for the lump, cats often have internal swelling, sometimes pretty large. It goes down on its own in a week or ten days.

Twilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may not be hair. The spay surgery involves sewing up the places inside where her hysterectomy was performed as well as closing up the hole through which the vet performs the surgery. Often, they don't use sutures on the outside (they use surgical glue), but do use them inside. I can't see from the photo, but one of the inside sutures might be poking up thorough the hole in the skin. Probably not a problem, but a call or visit to the vet would be a good idea. Is the thing in question the little black spot right next to her green tattoo line?

As for the lump, cats often have internal swelling, sometimes pretty large. It goes down on its own in a week or ten days.
The doctor used glue and not stiches

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor used glue and not stiches
Inside? I thought they always used sutures inside. Possibly dissolving sutures, which get absorbed by kitty's body after a while, but sutures, just the same. Anybody else got any input on this?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet has always used dissolving sutures inside. Given the number of ferals I have TNRed, I have always asked this question directly, probably unneccesarily, because most of those girls could never be retrapped for suture removal.