Lump With A Hole And Leaking On Cats Belly Months After Getting Spayed

Cmae93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my female cat spayed on April 12, 2017. She came home the next day and I had to take her to another vet that same day because the place that did her surgery didn't glue her incision good and it came open. So they ended up giving her staples and antibiotics. Two weeks later I took her back to the vet that put staples in her and they took the staples out and said her incision looker great and healed perfectly. Today I just noticed that there's a large lump that had a hole in and its leaking, in the same place her incision was. I called the vet that did her surgery and they said that it would cost 100 for them to check her and another few hundred for medicine and whatever else she needed. On the paper they gave me before her surgery it says that if there's any complications to bring her back and they'll look at her and fix it at no cost. I don't have hundred of dollars at the moment. And I'm worried that it is infection.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of it please?

It does sound like infection!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cmae93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This seems fishy to me. Who did you talk to? A secretary or the vet? Did you bring up the document?
No it wasn't the vet it was a secretary I believe. And yes I mentioned the paper but the only thing she said was that the paper meant during the healing process.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like an abscess that is infected and needs draining, along with a round of antibiotics.

I realize you are trying to hold the vet who did the surgery accountable, so why not make an appointment and take the issue up with the vet who did the surgery while you are there?

Your cat has never healed properly from her surgery 8 weeks ago, and now needs treatment. The vet will hopefully treat her at no charge to you.

In fact, she needs to be seen ASAP for the sake of her health, even if it is by a different vet.

I hope you'll get her in somewhere tomorrow. This must be painful!

Please update after your vet visit.

Last edited:

chapnyaw25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my female cat spayed on April 12, 2017. She came home the next day and I had to take her to another vet that same day because the place that did her surgery didn't glue her incision good and it came open. So they ended up giving her staples and antibiotics. Two weeks later I took her back to the vet that put staples in her and they took the staples out and said her incision looker great and healed perfectly. Today I just noticed that there's a large lump that had a hole in and its leaking, in the same place her incision was. I called the vet that did her surgery and they said that it would cost 100 for them to check her and another few hundred for medicine and whatever else she needed. On the paper they gave me before her surgery it says that if there's any complications to bring her back and they'll look at her and fix it at no cost. I don't have hundred of dollars at the moment. And I'm worried that it is infection.

Hi! My cat has the same thing and I tried googling and saw this thread. I was wondering about what happened to your cat? What did the vet tell you? I hope you can answer because I am really worried :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is still in the healing process because IT NEVER HEALED PROPERLY! I would tell them that. It too looks like an abscess that developed from bacteria being trapped under the skin. It needs to drain and be kept open, with a round of antibiotics. what is happening now is a direct result of her spaying, the vet should be responsible. C chapnyaw25 , please try to start your own thread, I think it would get more attention. Click on Cat Health, clear to the right you will see Start A New Post in a grey box, (or somewhere on page) make sure you put a title in, like Spay Incision Look Terrible or something. For now to try to avoid a cost, take a good picture or two and bring it in to your vet and show them and find out what they want to do!