Lump on Cat's Belly

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

As some of you know, I adopted a kitty last month after losing my best friend Mindy to cancer.  Well the new kitty, KeKe, has a lump on her belly and I am sick thinking I may have another kitty with cancer.

Her vet felt it on her initial checkup after I adopted her and told me to keep an eye on it for the time being.  It is small, maybe the size of a small pea and feels like it.moves around under her skin.  You can't see it just by looking at it so it's not red or anything.  It does not seem to bother her at all. The shelter told me she was 5 and spayed, but they do not know when.  I *think* it may be getting a tiny bit bigger, so I called her vet and she wants to aspirate it in case it is mammary cancer.  I felt like throwing up when I heard that.  I'm hoping it's not actually any bigger and I'm just being paranoid due to what I just went through with Mindy and her cancer.  Health and behavior wise she seems normal otherwise-eating,, playing etc.

I guess we need some good vibes that this does.not turn out to be bad.  Has anyone experienced this and had a good outcome? I don't think I can go through this again. Her appointment is next Wednesday after work.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would it happen to be located around where you might say her belly button is?

It may be scar tissue from her spay.

I would NOT have it aspirated, I think you should get a good feel for it's size, then leave it alone.

Every couple weeks or so, feel it again and make sure it is not bigger. That's it. I would not play around too much, but a good chance of it being simply scar tissue.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!  It's along the right side of her belly.  Like there is a nipple and then some space and then another nipple.  The lump is in the area of her belly between the nipples.  Do you think it is something that could.be physically measured?  I mean literally with a ruler or something?  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well that might be difficult to measure that way, but more your finger and eyes seeing it.

You said it's smaller than a pea. Is it right under her skin?

Can you move it around like it is attached to the underside of her skin?

Or is it stationary, and attached to her body/organ?

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can move it around with my fingers-almost rolling it.  It feels like it is just under the skin. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So that's a VERY good thing.

I would occasionally check it, not allow my hand to wander there all the time, or at least not moving, pinching it to feel the size much.

I feel it is no big deal.

Even when a cat pops up with a small cyst or even what is called a tumor, it is merely a harmless bump that causes no problems at all.

Not often will a small lump like this be anything at all to worry about or for her future either.

You likely are still traumatized by the loss of your last kitty.

I so understand that.

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.  Yes I am still traumatized from what I went through with Mindy so I think I'm being a bit paranoid.  I still.have to take her into the vet for her appointment to get a tooth looked at so I will definitely talk to the vet about keeping watch for now.  Thank you again for all of your feedback!