lump in lower jaw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robyn66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes.  We will be taking out babies to the new vet.  She was incredible! My daughter is moving her cat over as well.  Never darkening his door again!

robyn66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Simon update

Its been a couple of weeks since I last checked in.  The jaw has not enlarge much if at all and anything that was eliminated by the first round of antibiotic seems gone.  The wound on his lip/chin has opened up again and oozing puss it looks NOTHING like the lesions I have seen related to cancer.  So that makes me wonder if there is something in there.  But the major jaw enlargement is still there.  

It has been over a month since the death sentence from the first vet and the 50/50 chance of infection from the second vet.  I am still reading up on cancer just to try and keep myself prepared for the worst-but here's the thing.  STILL besides the weeping would and the enlarged jaw Simon is still

Eating well and eating dry cat food

Begging for bacon and getting it

No drooling

no togue sticking out of his mouth 

clear eyed

no change in activity that I can see.

He is damn angry when people pick him up to look at his jaw-(it may be hurting a bit)

NO bad breath whatsoever

Fairly certain he has gained a little weight 

He has been glued to my side every night like usual and even more affectionate (snuggling up on the pillow next to me) which is what he does to comfort ME when I am upset.  And he is very sure of himself when he does it.  He just walks up to my face bumps my nose and bites me!!

NO weakness

So what on earth is going on.  He has had the wound since last spring and I stared noticing the lump on the jaw in August or September.  How can he possibly have cancer???  My friend is fairly certian it is an infection of some kind or a dental issue.  I am just so frustrated.  I need to know what is going on and I just cant afford the biopsy!!!

Last edited:

kittiekitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as the biopsy, take a look at care credit. It is a credit card for vets. Not sure of your vet would take it, but I've heard good things about it. Interest only kicks in if you don't meet your monthly agreement for pay/the amount is not paid off by the agreed upon time. I have not used it, but may be looking at it soon as these bills can be $$! Glad things seem better! We need good news on this board! Keep us updated!

robyn66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final update:

Simon was put to sleep tonight.  The infection was caused by the tumor, when the antibiotics killed the infection the tumor went in to overdrive.  His jaw doubled in size over the last week.

I took him to the vet we had when we lived in Massachusetts because she was the one person I truly trust.  

She told me that there was nothing to be done.  The tumor was just everywhere; in his mouth,traveled all over his head, it was far worse than any of us could have imagined.  

Simon had been slowly going down hill.  He was still eating and feisty but was having a ton of trouble with his mouth.  He started drooling out of one side of his mouth.  I think that was when it hit home to me that we weren't going to win this one.

By this weekend he was curled up in the spare room with his face facing the wall which is always a bad sign. I saw real pain last night for the first time.  I crawled up on the bed and hugged and kissed him and told him I was going to make the pain stop. He climbed up on our bed last night like usual and snuggled. He actually seemed better.  

When we got to the vet (one he had never seen before after a long ride) he was calm and relaxed.  After the examination and the decision was made she put an IV line in and he was still relaxed.  He was on the table and he bumped my head and we rubbed faces like we always do and I started to cry. I am not even sure how he did it but he turned his back on me.  When I composed myself he actually turned around again and I stroked him and scratched him where he liked best.  After a little while I gave the vet the go ahead and she gave the first shot to put him to sleep.  After that she did the second shot which stopped his heart.  

I have his blanket which I will be sleeping with tonight and I have been going from total calm to hysterical crying.  I miss him so much.  He was my special boy.

There is nothing else to say except that if you have a cat with a hard lump on his jaw, it is most likely a death sentence.

Cuddle your babies tight, 

Thank you for all of your support,

I will leave you with one of my favorite silly pictures of Simon who had a fun and happy life and was only really sick for a couple of weeks.  God Bless.

Robyn

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very, very sorry. Simon was very special and I had really hoped he would be okay. His photo is adorable. [emoji]127752[/emoji]

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading through your thread. I am now crying as I am typing this.
I am so truly sorry for your loss of your precious Simon. He sure seemed like such a special kitty.
His picture is adorable!
What a beautiful kitty!
I am so sorry from the bottom of my heart!!

robyn66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!  I really appreciate the kind words from everyone.  This is just hell, I can still remember what his fur felt like.  I remember what it felt like to hold him in my arms.  Last night I automatically reached for him and lost it when he wasn't there.  When I woke up this morning for a second I forgot he died.  This is a nightmare.  

I miss him so much!

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. [emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji]

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: I'm so sorry! Simon is a cutie! I love that pic [emoji]128149[/emoji]