Lump found!

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I was hoping for a bit of reassurance, please. My vet can’t get me in until Monday and I am very nervous!

I found a lump under the skin on Morgana’s back last night. I think it may be a fatty lump, but I thought these are relatively uncommon in cats? It’s to the right of her spine, behind the shoulder blade on her right side. It moves a bit under the skin, is… maybe a teeny bit squishy? it’s not rock hard- and is about the size of my thumb tip. I’m just so nervous as she’s only one and due to the position of it! She appears completely unbothered and is still her chaotic self.

I may be going overboard, but I’ve booked her in for an exam on Monday and will further test if needed - it was the earliest they could get me in so a weekend of worry! Just wondered if anyone else had found something similar so I don’t end up worrying myself all weekend 🙈

Providing the cat tax!
70D65430-838D-4E63-B657-ED7B1325C8BD.jpeg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found one the size of an almond on my cats tummy earlier this year. It turned out to be a fatty lump that my vet removed. They are relatively common and are harmless. Its easy to say but try not to worry. Let us know how it goes. Beautiful cat by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found one the size of an almond on my cats tummy earlier this year. It turned out to be a fatty lump that my vet removed. They are relatively common and are harmless. Its easy to say but try not to worry. Let us know how it goes. Beautiful cat by the way.
thank you, that’s really reassuring! I’m hopefully expecting it’ll be a case of leave it alone and then if it gets bigger / a bother book her in for a removal.

thank you so much! morgana knows and often uses it to get her own way 😂

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My Captain has an odd little lump on his front let. My housecall vet suggested, since it is too small for him to get a needle into, to have the dental vet take a look and remove it when Captain's under anesthesia for his teeth cleaning coming up in a month or so.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please make sure at your appointment to let your vet know your cat was vaccinated there. Even if he is the vet that did the vaccination.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Lumps and bumps are common on older animals. Have it looked at thoygh but unless it is oozing pus or obviously causing her discomfort I would not be too worried

Kabuto has had a tiny lump abput the size of a small pimple on his head for 13 years and it is just a benigne lump of flesh. Sometimes cats get them just like people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Lumps and bumps are common on older animals. Have it looked at thoygh but unless it is oozing pus or obviously causing her discomfort I would not be too worried

Kabuto has had a tiny lump abput the size of a small pimple on his head for 13 years and it is just a benigne lump of flesh. Sometimes cats get them just like people.
Morgana turned one in April - it’s one of those under the skin, movable squishy lumps if that makes sense?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds a bit like Kabutos btut his feels kind of hard but may be because it is tight against his skull. I think the vet called it a lipoma? At any rate, his is not cancer and he got it when he was abot two. Hasn't changed at all.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That sounds a bit like Kabutos btut his feels kind of hard but may be because it is tight against his skull. I think the vet called it a lipoma? At any rate, his is not cancer and he got it when he was abot two. Hasn't changed at all.
I am glad your cat is doing well. Anytime a lump is associated with a vaccine site, it needs to be seen.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Any lump needs to be looked at by a vet reguardless of wheather it is associated with a vaccine or not.

I ve seen people just brush it off as nothing and loose their pet. Believe me i'm not sugesting it isn't serious but it also could just be a benigne fatty lump. Only a vet can tell that.

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has your cat been vaccinated or had another injection in the area? If it was recent, it could just be inflammation.

However, that’s a common site for vaccine induced sarcoma.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any lump needs to be looked at by a vet reguardless of wheather it is associated with a vaccine or not.

I ve seen people just brush it off as nothing and loose their pet. Believe me i'm not sugesting it isn't serious but it also could just be a benigne fatty lump. Only a vet can tell that.
Yes any lump should be checked, but especially if it is associated with a vaccine.

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morgana is booked in for a vet appointment on Monday (earliest they can get me in. She was vaccinated there about a month ago, but I’m definitely wanting to check it out to make sure everything is okay.
If it’s only been a month, I think there’s a good chance it’s just inflammation. If it were me, I’d personally not vaccinate this cat again. Unless your rabies laws are super strict, then I’d insist on Purevax rabies only, leg only. Some cats are more sensitive to vaccine inflammation than others.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet uses defensor 3 and my cats have never had a reaction to it other than the typical groggy "uggh vet" day afterwards. Here vaccines are manditory and if your cat sends you to the hospital they ask for proof.

I get a lump after being vaccinated for Covid so cats certainly can't be much different.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morgana is booked in for a vet appointment on Monday (earliest they can get me in. She was vaccinated there about a month ago, but I’m definitely wanting to check it out to make sure everything is okay.
That's good please keep us posted. Hoping Morgana is ok and it's nothing serious.

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet uses defensor 3 and my cats have never had a reaction to it other than the typical groggy "uggh vet" day afterwards. Here vaccines are manditory and if your cat sends you to the hospital they ask for proof.

I get a lump after being vaccinated for Covid so cats certainly can't be much different.
It is a bit different because humans don’t get injection induced sarcomas. Neither do dogs, but cats do. They get them with any injection, not just vaccines so it’s thought to be caused by inflammation after an injection. They can even get them just from a blood draw. Most inflammation they get from vaccines isn’t cancer. I don’t want to scare OP, Morgana is in likelihood just fine.

Getting vaccinated way outweighs any risk of VIS, but there’s a reason the veterinary associations are wary of needle based medicines for cats and why they’ve moved to no more than every 3 years for the kitten series. Studies show these vaccines last at least 5 years, but likely for life.