Lucy Update! Badly infected tooth....

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I switched vets after being nearly "ghosted" by the current one. I am SOOOO glad I did that. When I have something medical going on, I go to Univ. of Michigan (Michigan Medicine) . They spend LOADS of time with patients and when the patient leaves, they know everything there is to know about whatever the ailment is! This new vet is the UofM of PETS!!! I am not even kidding. I am awed at how thorough they were with Lucy. Granted, I walked out of there spending like $400, but half of that was a radiograph/Xray. He told me that there was something hard he was feeling up around her tooth/jaw area. He said it is going to be an infection or a tumor (a tumor was never, ever mentioned as a possibility with the other vet). I knew I had to suck it up and spend it because I knew that I WOULD KNOW something by the time I walked out of there. And sure enough....I did. I think Extractions are going to be a good grand or more and I am trying to figure out how we will get that kind of cash, but I still have time to try and figure that one out

Lu does not have a tumor. He took me back and explained everything there was to know about the Xray. The big picture was looking down to the top of her head. That one side near her cheek bone as soooo cloudy. The other side was not. He said that was why she is digging herself along her jaw bone. It hurts. I then mentioned something about how she was digging at the top of heard by her ear and how the other vet told me it was a reaction to the thyroid med. I was told it could give an intense itching sensation. He looked at me a little funny and said, "I don't know if I have ever seen such a reaction to that med". He further said around the ear area is a result of all that mess going on in her jaw.

Then I asked him about an ear polyp. He said, "Well, let's take a look". I said, "but, I was told she needs a CT for that and that would involve sedation". He said, " no..I can use this tool and see in there fine. He referenced the xray to show me where the ear canal is and told me if there is one, it'd be growing into that area. No ear polyp. That took care of that worry with at CT! LOL

Talking about her teeth and a course of action, he said she needs extractions. I said, "I know. But she is 19 and the other vet did not seem to be too fond of that idea". He said, "She is 19. Her bloodwork is absolutely amazing for her age and I would have no reservations about doing this surgery for her." At that point, I didn't know if I wanted to scream out of joy or bawl because someone is actually giving me answers and SOLUTIONS! I asked him if I should be worried. He said, " Not at all! She needs the medical attention, but she is not in an emergency situation. I think she looks great for 19". Can you hug a vet?? Because I completely want to!!! The emotional ride with pets is absolutely crazy. It's not like you can talk to them and explain why were going in a car and why there are numerous strangers in the room.

He gave us a powder to put in her Joker-like jaw line that appears to be part steroid. He said that should help with the digging and she may not need a cone with it...just have to watch it. She has another antibiotic that starts with a B (large tablets that are chewable). She will be on that for 14 days.

When talking about the thyroid treatment, I told him the other office recommended the hills YD food instead of medication. He told me diet alone will not work and even Hill's states that treatment also needs to happen. He is not concerned with her thyroid at this point. It's JUST over the "normal" range (it is literally like 4.something.). If we can get beyond the extractions, then we can revisit that. I

I did ask him about skipping extractions and doing comfort treatments. He told me we would really not get very far with that...that she would act no better than what she is now at home (though, she has more life in her when we are at the vet...she greets people coming into the room and purrs..rubs up against them...). At home she stays mostly in the bedroom and sleeps most of the day. I guess at this point, at least with the extractions, she has a chance to feel better for whatever time she has left. I know she may not make through surgery just like any other cat, person, may not while going under anesthesia, but in my heart, I will know in my heart that I fought for her as much as I possibly could <3

The huge weight on shoulders has lightened TREMEDOUSLY!!!!

Thank you to EVERYONE who has given me advice, encouragement, and strength to keep fighting for her! You guys FREAKING ROCK!!!! <3

(picture if of Lu today at the vet. She found a happy window to look out of!! :) )

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad you've gotten information 😊

A couple notes for your information;

He told me diet alone will not work
The approach of utilizing Hills y/d diet is an option which manages hyperthyroidism. No, it isn't a cure. There are a couple other foods on the market with low iodine although not as low as the Hills. One thing about this; if a cat has pre-existing liver issues, methimazole will cause further liver issues. Additionally, not every cat is able to emotionally handle the time at the vets required for the radioactive treatment.

even Hill's states that treatment also needs to happen
I'm not sure what this is based on. There's nothing on Hills website which makes that statement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The approach of utilizing Hills y/d diet is an option which manages hyperthyroidism. No, it isn't a cure. There are a couple other foods on the market with low iodine although not as low as the Hills. One thing about this; if a cat has pre-existing liver issues, methimazole will cause further liver issues. Additionally, not every cat is able to emotionally handle the time at the vets required for the radioactive treatment.

I'm not sure what this is based on. There's nothing on Hills website which makes that statement.
I just know what he told me...whether a rep told him or another educator, I do not know. Lucy's liver results were normal. She only had the thyroid that came back abnormal. How that happens at 19, I will never know, but I'm not going to look that gifted horse in the mouth! We are blessed beyond measure, for sure! Once we get through this hurdle (teeth), we will address the thyroid. I'm just over here doing a happy dance for as long as I can! :hyper::yess::banana1:

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Do you have any firsthand experience with I-131 treatment for hyperthyroidism in cats? I know it's billed as a cure, but I've had four cats with hyperthyroidism, and in every case, their Methimazole dose has come down later in life. Meaning that if their T4 level had been stabilized with I-131 treatment, they would have had hypothyroidism a couple years later, and then required lifetime medication for that. It seems like the Methimazole approach, while not curative, offers much-needed flexibility.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to sidetrack this thread, but ...

Do you have any firsthand experience with I-131 treatment for hyperthyroidism in cats?
Hi, no, my angel Poppy was one of those who already had a compromised liver, and he was way too stressed at regular vet visits to have been able to handle the length of time required for the radioactive treatment.

It seems like the Methimazole approach, while not curative, offers much-needed flexibility.
It does, as long as the cats' liver can handle it.

Meaning that if their T4 level had been stabilized with I-131 treatment, they would have had hypothyroidism a couple years later, and then required lifetime medication for that.
I've read this before, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder :).