Lucy the kitty cat.... polyp?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few weeks back, I posted about Lucy (she's 19ish) sneezing, batting, and having a dental issue. I thought the vet was dropping the ball. After I got a bit huffy-puffy (read: bitchy!) with them at the front desk, the vet called me and even gave me his cell number. We got Lu's med for the hyperthyroidism. She's on week two (pill form and she hates life right now!). She also finished an antibiotic and was given a second (zithromyacin, I believe?) for 6 weeks. She had an infection in her mouth. The odor from her mouth has vanished and she is eating more dry food than before and engulfs canned food (like Sheba). She also is a bit more social and doesn't stay in the bedroom like she used to. She will still kick her catnip toy, but she is still sneezing and batting at her face/ear. The vet mentioned a polyp could be a possibility but he did say he wanted to start the other meds to see how she does on those first. He said it wouldn't be in Lu's best interest to be sedated for a CT for a polyp. That was like a couple of weeks ago. As I watch her, she doesn't sneeze AS much but she does shake her head and rarely will sleep curled up on her head like she always had. She sleeps with her head upright though she will rest her chin on whatever she is laying on. She had numerous red marks around her ear area (between her eye and ear) and the only thing I could think of was it's from her doing all the batting. She can get aggressive with it. Her eye (same side ) gets watery and red: it's clear fluid and it gets squinty...I'm guessing that's from her, as well, with all that pawing? I sent a msg to the vet about my suspicions and he ok'd (through his front desk) to try a steroid. I read about another cat with a polyp issue in archives here on TCS so I thought I'd ask to give the steroid a try. It's only been since Friday, but she is still batting and inflicting more scratches to her head. I feel awful for her. I don't know how long it takes for a steroid to kick in for this to help relive her symptoms? When I was on a steroid (hello prednisone!) for fibro (don't get old...the struggle gets worse), I'd get a shot a by the time I got home, I was doing cartwheels....it was quick to act!

Anyway, I'm not sure if I should be concerned with all of this? I read it can impact the airway and grow to cats' throats! If the steroid doesn't work and they don't feel she should be sedated (knocked out), then what happens? Her bloodwork was absolutely clear except for her thyroid. Even her kidney results were normal. But, she's down to 9 pounds and I can feel her ribs (they aren't protruding or anything, though)...and I'm terrified of a surgical procedure and terrified without one. Do polyps cause pain? How long for this steroid to kick in (she gets 4 drops twice a day)? I know there's a chance it may not work. Ugh. This is just as horrible of a feeling with her as it is if it were one of my kids!!
You can see her scratches in this picture. I tried to get a picture of her eye, but she wanted zero to do with that one! LOL

Attachments

Brenny K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello sweets it can as they are older,including scratching or shaking the head, pain on palpation of the ear, or thick or bloody discharge from the ear canal is for some polyps but don't let the reading scare you , if your kiddo is older I would not recommend any sedation which animals are like humans and our babies for sure, usually the older they are some don't take the sedation very well and can be hard on them but they usually only give them just enough for what procedure is needed if they dont recommend it due to the age factor i def wouldnt ,you definitely don't want to push too much too quick on them as well and any long term med i know may help for what it is given for but you def dont want to harm their insides from it either, its like being stuck in rock and hard place 😩. The frustration for us not knowing stresses us out as well and times you feel like your getting nowhere especially when it comes to vets. I do hope your baby gets better so you can have some relief 😌

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd call and ask the vet about their expectation for results to be seen from the steroid. An oral version would likely take longer than an injection would. Ask them about the batting at her eye too and see if they would recommend something to help relieve any discomfort she might be having while waiting for the steroid and new antibiotic to fully kick in.

Also, ask the vet if they were talking anesthesia vs. a sedation for the CT scan. I would think the latter is enough to enable the CT to be done, as mentioned above. And there are a number of varying types of sedation available. While not the same as a head CT scan, my 19+ yo cat had a mild sedative (butorphanol) given to her 2 years ago for an ultrasound of her abdomen. They said she might appear groggy for the rest of the day, but she really wasn't at all.

I think the vet is right in suggesting to wait and see if there are better results with the second antibiotic before pursuing the CT scan. Polyps, if she were to have one, can cause infections that need to be treated with antibiotics too.

If the steroid proves to be beneficial, which might not be obvious until any infection is cleared - it might be that she can receive periodic steroid meds down the road in lieu of any surgical procedure should a polyp be found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The steroid is topical...drops in her ear. She's hating life right now. When I had injections of a steroid, it was nearly an instant relief of pain. It was magical! It also magically put on weight!! LOL. Lucy could use some of that, too. I think I will call to see how an injection might help her more. That could be pretty telling!! Thx!