Lucky pees on human beds

miggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend has a cat named Lucky and Lucky has a little problem with urinating outside of his litter box. And not just anywhere... but only in my friend's bed and her room mate's beds. I'll start with a little background.

Lucky is a 2 year old neutered male and my friend has had him since he was 3-4 months old. He was litter box trained no problem, and typically uses his litterbox like a perfect little cat. However, about 5 times over the span of this last year and a half he has urinated in my friend's (human) bed. My friend is especially worried because it has happened twice in the past week. It seems to occur when my friend is gone for a long time. For example, the first time it ever happened was when she went out of town for a weekend. But it has also happened when she has just been gone for many hours - like 12 or 14 hours straight morning to night. At first my friend thought that Lucky would do it when he was just really lonely. But now she has room mates who give him attention even while she is at work, so maybe it's not that?

Other important notes: Type of litter has remained unchanged.
Lucky is healthy by all indications. All other cat behaviors have been normal with no change. My friend DID recently (3 wks ago) move to a new apartment with new room mates, but it did happen at least 3 times in her old residence with old room mate too. Lucky also seems to be adjusting well, in all other ways, to the move.

Why is he peeing on her bed when she is gone?

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She needs to take him to the vet for a urinalysis and possibly kidney function test. Male cats are more likely to get kidney stones and struvite crystals and this can be a real issue if left untreated. An otherwise litterbox trained cat who is peeing on her bed is trying to tell her it needs help, IMO. Please, urge her to take Lucky to the vet for a workup...even if he seems healthy. I had a young cat in renal failure who did this and my best friend has a cat with cronic kidney stones who will do this as well. He needs to be seen.

morningrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One block shy of Crazyville, West Virginia
I have a healthy cat who does this when she is mad... twice in the last month. When one of the boy cats lays in her favorite spot on the bed she will pee on the bed... all other things have been ruled out. Good luck to your friend.