Lucky - From Kibble addict to Carnivore!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky :heart3: makes me proud and puts a big, giant grin on my face at every meal....
I just can't believe she is that little girl who RAN from a dot of meat as though it was poison :barf:..... Went through over a month of tiny treats to even lick raw meat at all.....
She came from free-fed purina pro-plan hairball management (because of a blockage), to a schedule feeding, to raw - no wet food in between - in fact, she never ate wet in her life (aside from a/d while force-fed)

Anyways, here she is this morning, and that's how she is every meal :clap::clap::clap:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Now, there are a few pieces left there - Bugsy was being a brat outside and she just had to check it out :rolleyes:

Sure, I still cut her meat into little pieces, and I still top it with WL.... but only ONCE :clap::clap::clap::clap:
So proud of my little girl!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Carolina, Lucky is a testament to your determination to feed your babies the healthy diet you want them to eat. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The most amazing thing? You did it without stressing her. And if Lucky can eat raw from kibble - ANY kitty can!

LOOK AT THAT GIRL GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap:
Thank you Laurie! :hugs:
It still amazes me! And yes.... Looking at Lucky standing up and screaming for her meals, I have to believe that if she can do it, any kitty can! :nod:
It took a loooooot of work..... but we got there! She is actually the most vocal of the bunch, the one who will jump on my bed and wake me up if I am late for breakfast.... She is a lean, mean, meat eating machine! :lol3:
She makes momma proud - I am happy for my little girl :clap::clap::clap:

claudeone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What success!  You still have a ways to go because just feeding "frankenprey" is not a balanced diet. Dr. Karen Becker has a paperback called Real Food for Dogs and Cats that will give you the info to turn your homemade raw to a balanced raw diet.  Other option is to by frozen prey such as hares and birds online.
Great job getting your cat to this point!  I am working on 3 strays, all certified junk food addicts.

Claude

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What success!  You still have a ways to go because just feeding "frankenprey" is not a balanced diet. Dr. Karen Becker has a paperback called Real Food for Dogs and Cats that will give you the info to turn your homemade raw to a balanced raw diet.  Other option is to by frozen prey such as hares and birds online. :clap: Great job getting your cat to this point!  I am working on 3 strays, all certified junk food addicts.

Claude

I don't know what you mean by Frankerprey not being balanced. IMHO this is not correct information... I am feeding a balanced diet for my cats.... and I am not going Whole Prey, but thanks for the cuddos! :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What success!  You still have a ways to go because just feeding "frankenprey" is not a balanced diet. Dr. Karen Becker has a paperback called Real Food for Dogs and Cats that will give you the info to turn your homemade raw to a balanced raw diet.  Other option is to by frozen prey such as hares and birds online. :clap: Great job getting your cat to this point!  I am working on 3 strays, all certified junk food addicts.

Claude

Are you familiar with frankenprey? (Whole prey model) feeding?

And what makes you think Carolina isn't supplementing to make it balanced? :dk:

Last edited:

claudeone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to have raised up the hackles but the video it appeared to be chopped meat such as chicken breast.  That is considered frankenprey, I do admit that I do not know if she does feed a balanced diet and only meant to mention that store bought meat by itself is not a balanced diet for felines.  I use meat chunks to help converting from commercial to raw diet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, "just meat" isn't frankenprey. :) Frankenprey is "whole model raw," and IS balanced - just not necessarily at every meal. Frankenprey "models" whole prey - 80% meat / 10% bone / 5% liver / 5% other secreting organs. Many provide an omega supplement, probtiotics, taurine; some also provide B vitamins and/or some Vitamin E. Some include "supplements" such as sardines as a snack, or egg yolks or eggs as a "snack." Analysis of the diet actually indicates that it IS complete and balanced when properly managed. :) Frankenprey is typically balanced over the course of a week. I don't know how much you've read about making home made cat food outside of Dr. Becker's book. But many of us feeding raw do not believe that cats need vegetables as they don't require them at all in the wild.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to have raised up the hackles but the video it appeared to be chopped meat such as chicken breast.  That is considered frankenprey, I do admit that I do not know if she does feed a balanced diet and only meant to mention that store bought meat by itself is not a balanced diet for felines.  I use meat chunks to help converting from commercial to raw diet.:spin:
Well, sorry, but you can't really judge what is in the plate just by the video IMHO... How could you possibly know what is mixed in there :dk:
Frankerprey is not just meat.

Actually, "just meat" isn't frankenprey. :) Frankenprey is "whole model raw," and IS balanced - just not necessarily at every meal. Frankenprey "models" whole prey - 80% meat / 10% bone / 5% liver / 5% other secreting organs. Many provide an omega supplement, probtiotics, taurine; some also provide B vitamins and/or some Vitamin E. Some include "supplements" such as sardines as a snack, or egg yolks or eggs as a "snack." Analysis of the diet actually indicates that it IS complete and balanced when properly managed. :) Frankenprey is typically balanced over the course of a week. I don't know how much you've read about making home made cat food outside of Dr. Becker's book. But many of us feeding raw do not believe that cats need vegetables as they don't require them at all in the wild.
:yeah:
Just so you know, in that plate, Lucky has Turkey, Krill oil as a source of Omega-3, eggshell powder, as a source of Calcium, Taurine, and Proviable-DC, a probiotic. In addition, she gets Liver later in the day. Quite different from just meat, right?
IMHO cats have no need for fruits and vegetables, as obligate carnivores.... I read the latest article from Dr. Becker on Catnip Chronicles, and I don't agree with her the least bit on that one..... :dk:
For more information on raw feeding, different methods, including Frankerprey, there is a ton of information in here :http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:banana1: :woohoo: :dance: :banana2: :high5: :party:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That about sums up how I feel after seeing that video. WOW just WOW :wow: I DO know how hard you worked to get Lucky to this point. I am SO happy and so impressed with your "never give up" attitude. It is a true testament that with loads of patience and loads of EXCEDRIN amongst other drugs :crackup: :flail: It can be done!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I really appreciate seeing that video. I showed the :princess: Perla and she was none to impressed and a little confused as to what the heck Lucky was eating. :crackup:

Last edited:

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw Carolina, what a heartwarming story and great video of Lucky chowing down her raw; SO cute to watch! What a testament to patience and persistence paying off. I am so happy for both of you!

claudeone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you LDG and Carolina for your feedback about Frankenprey.  I appreciate your input and am glad Lucky is getting a great diet.