Lucas is going blind:-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Lucas for his third appointment with the ophthalmologis (Dr Dinelí Bras). Lucas seems to be diabetic now... hus glucose level when we went to our appointment was 429. I'm feeling terrible and desperate because now he needs more tests and I need help, I posted my fundraiser on the Cat SOS forum, so if you can all please share it, I would be grateful.

His eyes are almost back to normal, so that is good news... but he still needs to use two different drops and we have a fourth appointment with the ophthalmologist. Here are a few pics of our visit to Dr Bras, Lucas was a very good boy...

Thank you all
Tammy

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His eyes really do look much better!! yeah.   How is his vision though?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I love seeing the pictures of Lucas. Such a sweet boy! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
His eyes do look much better.

Tammy, in our pm, I asked you for the fundraiser link again, but I found it on the last pg. So don't worr about it. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he can see again! This is wonderful news! I am sorry to read about the diabetes. Any chance it's because of the long term prednisilone? Not that I'm a vet but I have read many times that prednil induced diabetes can sometimes reverse if you can get your kitty off prednil (I think I read that you tried atopica and it didn't go well, I know that sometimes they prescribe apoquel-sp?) off label for kitties for allergies etc. Not sure if that would be of any help to him at all or if the vet has any idea's on the diabetes?

I had a kitty with diabetes a few years ago (she was old). She did well with grain free wet food only.

Sending Lucas love and hugs x

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone, I was trying to delete this post because Lucas is nit blind anymore thank you Lord! But he has to continue treatment for now. Yes he has diabetes and he is not on Lantus Insulin, 4 units every 12 hours and he is still on oral prednisolone and prednisolone eye drops and also Optixcare gel for his eyes. We had an appointment on November 28 and the ophthalmologist says he is doing great but she still wants to see him in 4 months and if he is still doing good she will see him every 6 months. She did tell me the fibrins that caused him to be blind could return so I have to keep watching him and she told me if I see even a white spot in his eye to take him immediatley.
Thank you all for caring about my baby, its been a difficult year and an expensive treatment for my baby. But God always help us when we needs it and It hasn't been easy but Lucas can see and that is all that matters:-)

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he can see again! This is wonderful news! I am sorry to read about the diabetes. Any chance it's because of the long term prednisilone? Not that I'm a vet but I have read many times that prednil induced diabetes can sometimes reverse if you can get your kitty off prednil (I think I read that you tried atopica and it didn't go well, I know that sometimes they prescribe apoquel-sp?) off label for kitties for allergies etc. Not sure if that would be of any help to him at all or if the vet has any idea's on the diabetes?

I had a kitty with diabetes a few years ago (she was old). She did well with grain free wet food only.

Sending Lucas love and hugs x

Yes Lucas' diabetes was induced by the use of prednisolone, we have tried many meds and also Atoouca which made him vomit everyday, and every time I lower his predni dose he gets soo sick , is not even worthy trying anymore so he has to stay on it. He should be on a carb free diet for his diabete but sadly Lucas is also allergic to food and I have tried many limited ingredient foods and they haven't helped so he is on hypoallergenic food which has carbs so he needs the insulin. I'm just tired of making him suffer with diet changes, he seems to be Llergic to everything , every time he tries something I have to put him back on hypoallergenic and it takes months for him to recover. He is 10 years old and doing good oh his food now so I will keep him on his diet. He is a happy boy right now:-)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tammy!  It's so good to see a post from you. I was thinking about you guys the other day, & wondering how everything was going. I'm so glad to hear Lucas is doing well, despite having to take insulin now.

I'm glad to hear he is happy!  I'd love to see a new picture of that handsome boy! 

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cat went blind I think she was about 16 from high blood pressure after I got a dog. Thankfully she knew the way around so she could pretty much go anywhere she wanted. She couldn't jump on anything anymore, I picked her up & carried her a lot.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Major setback! my baby Lucas has eye poblems again, the ophthalmologist saw him on March 29 and found that his eyes were dry and he had inflamation of the corneas and also small ulcers and clouding of the right eye. He was put on a three drops treatment, Terramycin eye ointment, ciprofloxacin eye drops and Hycare eye lubricant. His eyes are bot dry anymore but the right eye doesn't look good, it has a white spot that worries me. Tomorrow the ophthalmologist will see him again. I'm really scared about this, I just pray that he can get better.
IMG_0180.JPG

Sorry for not giving an update earlier☹

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't assume the worst, you have another appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow, that is good. Please let us know what he/she says after examining him tomorrow. His left eye, by the way looks good!! It will be OK, Lucas has you as his mommy, so he has a GOOD life. :wink:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tammy!
I'm so sorry to hear that Lucas is having eye trouble again. I am so glad he is still being seen by the Opthamologist though.
Hopefully all of those drops will take care of it.
As soon as I read this, I was already in prayer for you guys, and sending healing energy to Lucas. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Know that you are both in my thoughts & prayers!! :hugs::hugs::hugs:
Give him kisses from his auntie Kelly!
Love to you both!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the white spot is a herpes ulcer, the best thing you can use is an eye gel called Zirgan in the U.S. and Virgan in Europe. It is an antiviral called ganciclovir. You probably can't afford it in the U.S. but I was able to get it through Canada Drugs (shipped from Europe) for about $45 U.S. That was several years ago. At the time, the same amount of the U.S. made Zirgan (same company, identical product, different market) would have cost over $200. That was several years ago, but ask your vet to look it up.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
First thank you all so much for your kind words, we went to Lucas' appointment today and the news are not good. It is not herpes, and he needs surgery soon, in fact she wantes to do surgery tomorrow, but I couldn't do it yet. So she told me to keep him on his meds and drops and call her to make an appointment for surgery. The meds will control the inflamation for a couple of weeks. Surgery costs $2,200, but if he doesn't get surgery he will still need surgery because he will lose his eye. So I'm working as hard as I can (I make doll clothes) and i had to start a fundraiser for his surgery. I posted the link under the topic : Lucas needs help, last post on the thread. He has been on Vigamox, Ciprofloxacin eye drops, Hycare, terramycin and tacrolimus, he is still on those.
I just want him to have the surgery and be ok