LR Sub-Q fluid bags - less than 1000ml

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since I have been getting them from Chewy, the bags are what I call 100ml short. There used to be ~100ml of fluid above the '1' line mark, and the bags are marked through to '9' - equaling 1000ml. But, the ones I receive from Chewy are never filled above the 1 line mark, meaning that there is really only 900ml in each bag. I give Feeby 100ml daily and these bags are only lasting 9 days.

I haven't contacted Chewy about this yet in case I am missing something - which I don't know what that would be. All the bags are the same brand - Vetivex. I can't imagine that Chewy fills them, but I can't explain why when I bought them from my vet there was always 100ml above the '1' mark line.

Anybody else notice this or?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go right to the source, Vetivex, and find out what's up.

It surprises me, but something's "off" with their 'quality control'.

I suspect you'll be rewarded for reporting it, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can go to Vetitvex and ask how their supply process works. But, as of now, I have no proof that it is happening with any source but Chewy. The best I could do is take a pic of my next new bag(s), to show how they are being delivered to me.

I was hoping someone else either had an explanation, in case I am missing something, or others could confirm/deny they have seen the same thing. There is power in numbers when it comes to taking action and getting results.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thought I would bump up this thread in case some folks who use LR sub-Q fluids might have some input.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post your issue/question to a space where (likely) most of the people are using fluids.....'Tanya's' group is one of those.

So far as the product itself is concerned, Chewy's role is limited to that of distributor/'authorized seller'. Chewy has no role whatsoever in the manufacture/production/manufacture of the product. In any action you take, refer to them only as the 'seller etc.'

The manufacturer of Vetivex is Dechra Limited: Vetivex Veterinary Lactated Ringer's Injection - Drugs.com.

The product is licensed, marketed and sold as each unit containing 1000ml, each "pack" (carton) containing 12x1000ml units: Vetivex Veterinary Fluids Veterinary Lactated Ringer's Injection, USP.

Now, this 'stuff' is incredibly highly regulated and any deviation from the FDA-approved product/marketing would result in serious trouble for the manufacturer. If you're saying that you're getting bags containing only 900mls, yet marked/labeled 1000mls from an authorized seller, feathers will fly and heads roll! (and, you'll likely receive some compensation.)

Dechra Limited
Customer Service
(866) 933-2472
https://www.dechra.com/
https://www.dechra.com/our-products/united-states

Keep us posted............could be exciting!:hyper:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. I've done the research, this company, like most, has established a process where a phone call is the only way to start an inquiry. So, that is pretty much my only choice. I also know this will require heavy documentation to support my suspicion - assuming I can even get that far to find out what I would need to do. I know the ropes enough to know this company can easily say that anyone who receives their products may impact what happens with the bags, due to storage/etc. Maybe liquid is evaporating from the bags, as one example.

It goes on from there - Chewy or anyone who provides these bags to their clients can turn around and say that the delivery service or the customer affected the bag's contents. I am sure I am not telling you anything you don't already know. I am not sure I am ready to take this on - my plate is pretty full just to get through each day trying to meet Feeby's needs. So, don't hold your breath looking for something exciting to happen.

I can go to another place like Tanya's web site, but most often, they are not equipped to deal with anything on this level, based on my experience with them.

All I wanted to know is if anyone on this site has noticed this issue - whether or not they attempted to pursue it on their own.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you are looking at the bag and seeing the fluid level is not 1000mls, have you already spiked the bag? Some drip lines can hold different amounts of fluid, and some fluids are lost in priming the bag. Have you looked at the outer wrap of the bag to see if Luis’s leaked out into it. I have seen that a few times.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you are looking at the bag and seeing the fluid level is not 1000mls, have you already spiked the bag? Have you looked at the outer wrap of the bag to see if Luis’s leaked out into it. I have seen that a few times.
Nope, bag is low before I insert the line. Outer wrap is dry, never have had a bag that was leaky.

Last edited: