Lower lip still swollen?

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks! Last week, I thought my cat was doing a blep, but when I took a closer took, her lower tip was swollen. There was a white spot on it (think what the inside of your cheek looks like when you bite it.)

I thought maybe she had hit her lip with her or something when jumping. I made an appointment with my vet anyway which was for Sept 13. I figured by then, it would either be worse, the same, or healed - in which case I'd cancel the appointment.

The swelling has gone down and the white lesion is gone, but now the problem is I can't remember what a cat's lower lip looks like normally, and she's by far the biggest-headed of all my cats and the others have black gums, so it's really hard for me to compare.

To me it still looks a bit swollen, but I wanted to check in with you folks in case this is what it's supposed to look like. Sorry for the crappy pics, it was the best I could get with her fussing :)

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree that it looks like a rodent ulcer (also known as indolent ulcer, one of the feline eosinophilic granuloma complex conditions). One reason we have seen on this site, as well in related articles, is the use of plastic dishes/bowls for food and water. The plastic 'absorbs' bacteria much easier than ceramic or stainless steel, and that can start as 'chin acne' and lead to an ulcer like your cat has.
What to Know About Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex in Cats (webmd.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that it looks like a rodent ulcer (also known as indolent ulcer, one of the feline eosinophilic granuloma complex conditions). One reason we have seen on this site, as well in related articles, is the use of plastic dishes/bowls for food and water. The plastic 'absorbs' bacteria much easier than ceramic or stainless steel, and that can start as 'chin acne' and lead to an ulcer like your cat has.
What to Know About Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex in Cats (webmd.com)
It really does resemble that! I only use glass/ceramic bowls and I never refill them (not without washing them in between - all they eat is wet food.) She is nevertheless prone to occasional chin acne so perhaps it is related!