Low white blood cells, can't spay our cat

muze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a stray cat 4 years ago but we were kinda slow about spaying (I feel very guilty). My sister was insisting but I was scared of the operation in case something goes wrong and we lose her or something bad would happen to her so I would put it off. Last year we finally took her to the vet but after doing blood test they found out she had low white blood cells and that they couldn't do a surgery because of her weak immune system. First vets told us to give her probiotics but it didn't work. Then they gave meds but it didn't work either. They said there is an affective but very expensive medication which is for humans but we couldn't afford it. This year we took her to another vet and her wbc levels were still low. She got treatment that costed 2500$ and vets told us there isn't any better treatment option than that. And gave us 100% chance. But no, nothing got better, in fact her wbc dropped from 6,60 to 4,80. But both times the blood tests were done she was in heat cycle. I don't know if it would affect her wbc. Around that time she was in heat nonstop, her cycle would end and begin again after a week. In the end they said they could do the operation but we didn't want it because when we first took her to vet they said it's dangerous and they can't do it. She didn't get any better so why do it now? We thought she had to live like this forever but it's been 9 months and she's constantly in heat and we are worried for her. Her cycles last for 7-8 days and happens too often.

What are we supposed to do now? Give her anesthesia even though she might not wake up again? I love her so much and she's only 4 years old. We've changed her vet countless times I couldn't trust any of them. The last vet didn't even give us any explanation about why this could be happening. Says she's never seen anything like it.

Could her wbc levels low because the tests were done when she was in heat? We wanted to take her to vet while she wasn't in her cycle but it happens way too frequently. She's always had low appetite and some cat foods make her vomit right after eating. She weighs around 3.5kg but she's always been like that. We're afraid something bad might happen to her after surgery so we don't want to get her spayed but as I said she's in heat too often it's hard for all of us plus she might get other diseases because of not getting spayed. Someone please help

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she were my cat, I would have go ahead and have her spayed, since the vet said that they could do it. It's not healthy for her to be in heat continuously. Repeated heat cycles are stressful for her body, and also raise the risk of uterine infection (pyometra). I don't know whether her low WBC count would have anything to do with being in heat, but since WBC are part of the immune system, she is probably at even higher risk of uterine infection than other unspayed females.

You can talk to the vet about different options for anesthesia and antibiotics and the safest way to do the spay surgery. A routine spay is a very fast and simple surgery, it only takes a few minutes for an experienced vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply, yes the vet told us about a different type of anesthesia but we were scared and didn't want to do it. I think maybe we should go back there.

Also, our cat is very scared of strangers and it's really hard to put her into her box we sometimes try to catch her for half an hour. She gets way too scared and stressed in vet clinic and acts very aggressive. I don't know, it might also have something to do with her low wbc.

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had many, many cats spayed, and it seems like a big and scary procedure; but honestly, even my small kitten went completely fine. Vets do this all the time; I can't even think of how many thousands of cats would have been spayed successfully!

Being in heat must be really hard for her, those hormones would surely be hurting her quality of life; no time to play or relax, just a constant urge to breed :(

Even as a smaller cat, and a lower WBC, it sounds like she's in caring hands that will look after her well :redheartpump:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the reply, yes the vet told us about a different type of anesthesia but we were scared and didn't want to do it. I think maybe we should go back there.

Also, our cat is very scared of strangers and it's really hard to put her into her box we sometimes try to catch her for half an hour. She gets way too scared and stressed in vet clinic and acts very aggressive. I don't know, it might also have something to do with her low wbc.
Stress can definitely cause lowered WBCs. Not sure how much it might lower that number, but per a few websites I looked it, it can definitely effect the WBC reading. Does she have ANY symptoms of any type of illness going on? If not, and nothing else in her blood tests shows up, then I guess it's possible it's all a result of her stressful Vet visits. Have you discussed that with any of the Vets you've seen?

I, too, would be prone to go ahead and have the surgery. Being in heat all the time must also be extremely stressful :frown:

muze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had many, many cats spayed, and it seems like a big and scary procedure; but honestly, even my small kitten went completely fine. Vets do this all the time; I can't even think of how many thousands of cats would have been spayed successfully!

Being in heat must be really hard for her, those hormones would surely be hurting her quality of life; no time to play or relax, just a constant urge to breed :(

Even as a smaller cat, and a lower WBC, it sounds like she's in caring hands that will look after her well :redheartpump:
Thank you for your kind reply, we love her so much. We're too scared of post surgery complications but she can't keep living like this, being in heat makes her life much harder and it breaks my heart. We've decided to take her to vet again to talk about her situation and how will the procedure go

muze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stress can definitely cause lowered WBCs. Not sure how much it might lower that number, but per a few websites I looked it, it can definitely effect the WBC reading. Does she have ANY symptoms of any type of illness going on? If not, and nothing else in her blood tests shows up, then I guess it's possible it's all a result of her stressful Vet visits. Have you discussed that with any of the Vets you've seen?

I, too, would be prone to go ahead and have the surgery. Being in heat all the time must also be extremely stressful :frown:
Some of her other test results were on the lower end as well but the vet didn't tell us about any other possible illnesses. They just said it could be caused by her cycle or she might be carrying a viral virus but nothing much. She always seems fine on the outside, she's almost never had any illnesses in 4 years, only had fungal infections once.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress can cause low white blood cells too, and the stress of being almost constantly in heat can contribute. Take her to the vet that said they could spay her, or one you trust. Knowing her condition is a great help, they should be more able to choose appropriate anesthesia and have a stand by transfusion ready if she needs it, you might talk to them about this. She needs her immune system built up. I would suggest getting DMG or Life Gold or an appropriate supplement from Amazon and starting her on that. My cats have leukemia and very low white blood cell counts. They have been doing very well on those supplements for over a year now after the vet said they would be dead 'shortly'. if something does happen, know in your heart you tried and you couldn't let her go on like that. Cats are known to cycle almost continuously until they mate, and that is very stressful on her. I will pray for your little girl, please think positive, I will pray she will be fine!

muze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stress can cause low white blood cells too, and the stress of being almost constantly in heat can contribute. Take her to the vet that said they could spay her, or one you trust. Knowing her condition is a great help, they should be more able to choose appropriate anesthesia and have a stand by transfusion ready if she needs it, you might talk to them about this. She needs her immune system built up. I would suggest getting DMG or Life Gold or an appropriate supplement from Amazon and starting her on that. My cats have leukemia and very low white blood cell counts. They have been doing very well on those supplements for over a year now after the vet said they would be dead 'shortly'. if something does happen, know in your heart you tried and you couldn't let her go on like that. Cats are known to cycle almost continuously until they mate, and that is very stressful on her. I will pray for your little girl, please think positive, I will pray she will be fine!
Thank you so much and I'm very sorry to hear about your cats conditions, you will be in my prayers as well.
I didn't know that their cycles would repeat very often, I thought she would only have them during some months of the year but I see that it's not the case.
I will also look up the supplements you mentioned, even though we've tried giving her probiotics before but she hated it. But we will try our best.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wal-Mart, Amazon, Dollar General,and others carry a gel-like treat called Delectable Lickables by Hartz in the stew flavors. My cats won't eat the bisque. I give all my meds in it and have never had a cat refuse it. Its great for them if they get sick and refuse to eat too. You might try it. Or put the supplements in a small amount if tuna juice and give the rest after they take their meds.

vania191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is your cat right now? Did you spay her? I have exactly the same problem :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure the vet knows about your little one's condition. They may start her on an antibiotic before any surgeries. My cats with leukemia have lived 3.5 years since their diagnosis. Low white blood cell count means no fighting against i fectio s and disease. So keeping the. Inside is a must too. Bless you for trying to find a way. This poster never gave us a followup, i wish more would!