Low WBC and soft stool after surgery/neutering

bao0110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my 8 month old male kitten, 3.5 kg, neutered 5 days ago. He was completely healthy in the blood test done before the procedure. However he’s been pooping soft, yellow, and runny stools ever since. He only poops once a day. And today it was bright yellow and loose. Is this normal after surgery? I’m a first time cat owner so I’m worried.

Up on taking him to the vet and doing a blood test,we found that his wbc is low. They gave us medicines but is there anyway diet-changes that I should make?? Currently he eats Royal Canin Persian kitten kibbles and Farmina N&D kitten kibbles, and Royal Canin kitten wet food. He refuses to eat other good quality wet food and is not a big fan of wet food. He doesn’t eat anything homemade either. I want to give him a nutrient-rich diet, but I don’t want to overwhelm him with sudden diet changes. Any suggestions would be very helpful, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my 8 month old kitten neutered 5 days ago. He was completely healthy in the blood test done before the procedure. However he’s been pooping soft and runny stools ever since. He only poops once a day. And today it was bright yellow and loose. Is this normal after surgery? I’m a first time cat owner so I’m worried.
Hi B bao0110 ...:wave3:
No, that is not usual...after neutering.
Was he given any medications...like antibiotics, or pain medications...at all?

Can you phone your Vet,...and make them aware...about your cat's situation...so they can advise you...what you can do next.
He might need some sub q fluids, for hydration,...if he is dehydrated.
And the bright yellow sounds a bit worrisome.
I would phone, and take him back, for a recheck...and also ask them if you can bring in a sample of the poop, too.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got my 8 month old kitten neutered 5 days ago. He was completely healthy in the blood test done before the procedure. However he’s been pooping soft and runny stools ever since. He only poops once a day. And today it was bright yellow and loose. Is this normal after surgery? I’m a first time cat owner so I’m worried.
Yellow no. Softness yes. My vet said that it can happen with anesthesia.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you thinking that his diet has something to do with the low wbc? While the stool consistency and color might be impacted by the food he eats, I don't think the food would affect his wbc. What medicines did they give him - antibiotics?

It might be a good idea to wait to make food changes until his meds are completed and his wbc is rechecked. If his stool issues are related to the wbc count, then it might clear up after the meds are done. He can still be on kitten food for a while longer before you change his diet to adult food.

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mine cats 6years+ only have about 2.5-3.5kg, one male cat spayed have 6-7kg
the one recently died inbred 4.5y/o is about 2.5kg(much lower at day she died)

w only 8 month old, itsnt over-weighting ?

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if it keep happen 3-5+ days, call vet

you can also can try, spotted spurge (clean it with water first and put in boiling water) or coconut water

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the cat, larger breeds will weigh more even at a younger age.

It might be a good idea to wait to make food changes until his meds are completed and his wbc is rechecked.
I agree that this is a better way to approach things.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mine cats 6years+ only have about 2.5-3.5kg, one male cat spayed have 6-7kg the one recently died inbred 4.5y/o is about 2.5kg(much lower at day she died) w only 8 month old, itsnt over-weighting ?
All cats vary by size, so comparing them to one another is kind of hard. It is better to look at their overall body condition to determine if they are under or over weight. Look at the weight differences you just mentioned when comparing your cats - you can see how much they can be different!

3.5kg for an 8th month old kitten would be considered within a normal range, in my opinion.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mine cats 6years+ only have about 2.5-3.5kg, one male cat spayed have 6-7kg
the one recently died inbred 4.5y/o is about 2.5kg(much lower at day she died)

Depends on the body condition of the cat, not just weight. Calcifer was 5.4 kg at 10 months. 3.37kg at 5 months. All lean weight and he's a DSH.

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
List of poisonous plants to cat and dogs.

I can't advise the use of spotted spurge. Sheep may be able to eat it, but it can be toxic in domestic pets.
Mine 2-3 cats have diarrhea, i just boiling it for them, once stool back to normal, stopped. Human can also drink it to prevent diarrhea,etc..

in 6 years, i think it's much better than other medical i'm even used for my 6cats,

vietnamese traditional medicine/Herbal Medicine : cỏ sữa lá nhỏ | Euphorbia thymifolia Burm | spotted spurge

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's really best to check with your vet before using any type of over the counter remedy. Although one cat may be fine, we have no way of knowing any other issues the cat may have that could cause deadly side effects.