Low salt diet.....

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can join our group on SP and track your salt intake (as well as cals and exercise)

As someone / several people said, the only real way to cut the salt down is to not add it to food (or use 'No Salt' at least) and homecook. I make my own 100 cal snack packs at home from cereals, nuts etc and cook up batches of soups when I have time at the weekend and freeze in containers to take to work with me

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah Susie you should join us pn Spark! I only have advice that has already been given. Stay away from prepackaged food.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to add my two cents-both my parents have high BP and mine is "borderline". Losing weight should be helping you with your BP.
I make most of my foods from "scratch" too. Its cheaper and more healthy in the long run. To me a can of soup is a convience food!! I switched from regular V* juice to the low sodium one and its not too bad. Diet soda's can have sodium in them too. I use alot of herbs and spices esp herbs on veggies. My fav source is Penzey's!! I probably have tried most of their items and can give recommendations. I use kosher salt in my cooking as it contains much less sodium than "table salt". Don't even keep a salt shaker on the table!! Noodles for instance do not need to me salted when cooking.
I've switched to the lower sodium chicken broth too. If you are cooking and using a product that contains sodium (such as broth) do not add additional salt!!
Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I want to add my two cents-both my parents have high BP and mine is "borderline". Losing weight should be helping you with your BP.
I make most of my foods from "scratch" too. Its cheaper and more healthy in the long run. To me a can of soup is a convience food!! I switched from regular V* juice to the low sodium one and its not too bad. Diet soda's can have sodium in them too. I use alot of herbs and spices esp herbs on veggies. My fav source is Penzey's!! I probably have tried most of their items and can give recommendations. I use kosher salt in my cooking as it contains much less sodium than "table salt". Don't even keep a salt shaker on the table!! Noodles for instance do not need to me salted when cooking.
I've switched to the lower sodium chicken broth too. If you are cooking and using a product that contains sodium (such as broth) do not add additional salt!!
Good luck!!
Thanks Gail.....I don't salt anything anymore....so the only sodium I'm getting is in something that is already in there........like for my lunchs, I kind of knew eating a can of soup a day was giving me alot of sodium, so I bought a turkey breast, baked it, and have been making sandwiches out of it for lunch instead.......I know that lunch meats you buy are loaded with it. I wonder if my cottage cheese has alot of sodium in it??
I eat some every day with my dinner.......