Low PLT in cat, no other symptoms

Calicoloco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings all
My 1 year old male cat was tested as preliminary requirement before castration and showed very low PLT (40,000 per microliter of blood) and slightly abnormal level of Amylase. WBC RBC and the rest of biochemistry test turned out fine.

The vet prescribed some medicine, and We tested him 3 weeks later as advised, PLT decreased to 30,000 but amylase shows normal reading. So we were advised to continue the supplement and back 2 weeks later.

3rd test showed similiar result (plt slightly increased to 40,000 ),my vet advise nothing but to continue with the blood supplement. She also checked that my cat seems to be fine, no bleeding or bruise. other readings wre also fine, the only problem is the PLT.I asked for blood smear or any other test, incase of blood parasite, but my vet said no need because my cat does not show any symptom, he is eating and drinking well, no issue on his fecal matters and urine too.

Ive read about pseudothrombocytopenia on this forum before, my cat was tested with automated machine (vetscan v2) which might be the issue.We are scheduled for 4th test due this week but we are looking for a 2nd opinion, any advice on what to do to solev this issue? should we do a complete blood test in different clinic (most of the clinic in my country use smiliar machine) or should we do another test?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS despite what brought you here. I would suggest you read up on possible causes for low platelet counts in cats and then discuss them with your vet. I have provided a link below to start with.

Not all cats are symptomatic initially, so that should not be a marker for whether or not additional testing is needed. There are a number of possibilities, and different tests can rule out different things. I wouldn't keep re-running the same tests that have already been done that are not showing progress with whatever this medicine is that you are giving him - as it doesn't seem to be helping much yet.
Low Blood Platelets (Thrombocytopenia) in Cats - Cat-World

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. With the in house vet CBC machines, there is often platelet clumping, which will display a falsely lowered platelet count. This should always be backed up by a slide being looked at under a microscope, or blood being sent out to the lab for them to check.

The in house machines are only as good as the people doing the routine maintenance on them and keeping them updated. Although even a machine that is brand new can have platelet clumping in cats. It is very common.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicoloco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. With the in house vet CBC machines, there is often platelet clumping, which will display a falsely lowered platelet count. This should always be backed up by a slide being looked at under a microscope, or blood being sent out to the lab for them to check.

The in house machines are only as good as the people doing the routine maintenance on them and keeping them updated. Although even a machine that is brand new can have platelet clumping in cats. It is very common.
Hi guys just wanted to update on the latest blood test. We decided to move to another animal hospital with a more proper facilities and laboratory.

So it stated that there was no issue on PLT (normal amount), although just few weeks earlier the result from the first clinic showed very low PLT for the third time.

the rest of the test also showed no issue at all. The vet said that the problem with the previous test might caused by blood clumping during test.

Thanks for the suggestion ! Really appreciate it.