Low Phos kidney food?

william1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat is 15, everything is well with him as hes been on good foods and routine checkups for him since the day I rescued him but as ive always heard kidney issues can be an issue as they get older and recently while at the vet for a checkup, my vet told me within the last 6months hes got higher levels which point to high levels for kidney issues. She recommended a probiotic which I bought from them and wet food which I also bought. However after feeding the wet food I was shocked to see a vet issued cat food purina pro plan vet diets kidney function has by product in it, something ive always strayed away from. Can anyone recommend something that is healthier for these issues.

From what I researched Weruva is a good product.
Weruva Truluxe Steak Frites with Beef & Pumpkin

and prescribed which looks better
Hill's Prescription Diet k/d Kidney Care Vegetable & Tuna Stew Canned Cat Food

Hills seems to be a better product then the purina which has no by product.

Any other foods that you guys are feeding for kidney issues that I should look up and what is considered a low mg per 100/cals, im noticing weruva is 150-200 vs alot of the higher ones at 300-400.

Any help would be much appreciated!! thank you.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can look up phosphorus on a dry matter basis here:

https://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

300mg equates to about 1.6% on a DMB. Lower phosphorus would be around 1% or so.

I also squeeze fish oil capsules once a day into their food bowls for kidney maintenance because kidney disease is an inflammatory disease.