Low calcium diets

lovejinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Squicker,

My kitten was initially on Nature's Variety dry, which I thought was a good food, as it appears to have good quality control. After doing some research the freeze dry processing and higher calcium was not good for my kitten. I was not ready to make my own foods. So, After changing diets sev times, trying what the vet recommended: One was high fiber diet w/d science diet (apparently there is some research on this related to calcium absorption) We did dry and wet. His levels did not go down after 3-4 mos. After more research I wanted to switch to an all wet food diet and looked at the food chart prepared by Dr Pierson. which suggested high protein diets. I tried Weruva and Core and Nature's Logic (lower phosphorus and high protein)  My kitty was a little fussy and only liked CORE. He still liked dry food. After more research, I switched to Fromm dry to supplement the wet The calcium in FROMM was significantly lower than Nature's Variety. In addition to this,  Nature's variety was freeze dried processing which is water depleted which is not good at all. Now we have added Fancy feast (yes, we did.. no gravy just classic style) He loves this food and eats more wet than dry. His blood levels have been good. He gained weight, has more energy. We have been fortunate. I think wet food or homemade food is the best. Best of luck in this very frustrating process. I hope you have a good vet. I think that is key as well. 

Mark M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To anyone reading this thread. I strongly suggest you DO NOT GIVE YOUR CAT FOSAMAX except as an absolute last resort. My cat (Teddy) has suffered horrible complications from this drug including BRONJ (osteonecrosis of the jaw), fractured both of his legs with minimal trauma (bilateral tibia fractures, pathologic fractures) and now has a mass in his jaw that is likely cancer. My cat was in fairly good health prior to receiving Fosamax for idiopathic hypercalcemia. BRONJ and fractures have been documented in humans that take biphosphonates like Fosamax. If we had given him an EOD (every other day) dose of prednisolone he'd likely be in good health today --although we can't predict the future. My point is---avoid Fosamax at all costs if possible. It can be a very dangerous drug and it has absolutely ruined my cat's life. He will likely need to be humanely euthanized at a very young age--Approximately 7 years old. Discuss this post with your vet.