Lovem' or Hatem'

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took a few years to figure this out. But as a construction worker I rub shoulders with a predomanantly male group for the mostpart. I like cats, I always have.. and I like to talk about them. I have noticed that most of my work peers don't like cats. If one speaks up I'll challenge them and try and figure out why this phenomenon exists. Still to this day I can't figure it out. It just came to me the other day that most of the poeple here are female. Has anydody else noticed that a lot of males don't like cats?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its just that they don't understand them most of the time - My fiance was pretty much brought up not to like cats - But when I introduced him to our cats he fell in love with how friendly and playful they were! He always thought that cats never showed any affection!!!

And I have converted many of my male friends!!!

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, many of my ex boyfriends weren't cat lovers, but they didn't love them like I do, or care to carry on much of a conversation about them. However, by the end of a couple of relationships I would say I definitely converted them. I had them talking to my boys (Mik and Lex) as much as I do.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky...John is the one who got me to be a hard-core cat person.....

Its not like i disliked them or anything I just didnt know anything about them untill I met his cats.......

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You gotta remember who you're rubbing shoulders with. I'd guess that most of them still think that if they showed any preference for cats that they'd be thought effete.

Which brings me to a cute story. Probably 25 years or so ago, I was at the waiting with my kitty at the local vet's office when this obvious biker guy (leather chaps, do-rag, black leather jacket w/chains---the works, looooong before it was "cool") walked in. The receptionist asked if she could help him whereupon with a rather shy smile (I thought) he pulled a purring young black kitten out from inside his jacket. He obviously adored the kitten, and had brought it in for its first shots. I suspect the bike was his only transport.

I've always remembered that fondly

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband didn't claim to hate cats when I first met him - he was being polite being the first few dates and all. After he met my Hippocrates (which he cringed at the first few dates), he was slowly swayed. It was after he fell in love with him that he admitted he *used* to hate cats. For a while he only claimed to like *selected* cats. You should see him dote over the babies that come thru the house, and the cat piles on him at night. hehehehehe

I think its a macho thing. He now openingly admits to being a dog lover. He has a secret closet fascination with cats.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we have converted a few fellows as well. My husband is crazy about Bijou and Mika and not embarrassed to show it.

sweetseamus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend claims he isn't a "cat person" but he's a big fake as far as I'm concerned.
I've seen him interact with both my cat Fred (who lives with my parents) and now Seamus and actions speak louder than words. He's pretty much smitten with Seamus as far as I can tell although he'll never admit it.
He grew up with cats but he's from a very rural area and the cats lived outside most of the time, so I think it's just that he's never really gotten to know one very well until I came along. Anyway, he knows by now that if he wants to be with me then cats are going to be part of the package, like it or not.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we were first married, my husband hated cats. He talked about some of the bad things he had done to cats. But that was almost thirty years ago. He is responsible for us having the two cats we now have. Both were strays and he had soft heart. Something sure changed him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll never forget my first experience with a cat. I must of been about 8. There was a cat perched on some stairs. Natural instinct was to stroke the cat. It spit then hissed. I was terrorfied of cats for many years after that. It was not till my 30's that we actually acquired one. The Mrs. was so pleased. I figured anything that can make somebody that happy has to be good. After a few years I became a cat buff. I welcomed a few vagabonds at the door and called them our own since then. Now we have three!

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting you brought this up! I often ponder this. I was at the store the other day and I saw a young, goodlooking guy in front of me with a maxi-pack of cat food. I remember thinking if I was not already a happily attached woman I would have tried to strike up a conversation.

Cats are such easygoing creatures - and they return as much as you give them!!

lizk729

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband has always "hated" cats...hence why I was sooooo shocked when he said we could being our baby home. Now hes still not a cat lover but I do see him coming around a tiny tiny bit.lol I think hes just always though dogs were mans buddy and cats are for girls.......kinda strange how most men seem to feel that way.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Cat stories brought my husband and me together. He had one and I had one so we would swap cat stories. And he absolutely adores cats.

I think cats require a relationship that isn't as simple as the best-buds type that dogs give. Being with a dog is like watching sports with the friends. Relationships with cats are the more intimate kinds that women have with one another. Not all men are comfortable with that type of relationship.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I think cats require a relationship that isn't as simple as the best-buds type that dogs give. Being with a dog is like watching sports with the friends. Relationships with cats are the more intimate kinds that women have with one another. Not all men are comfortable with that type of relationship.
That was well said.....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the guys are on poker/gaming/sports sites.

With a cat in their laps.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Cat stories brought my husband and me together. He had one and I had one so we would swap cat stories. And he absolutely adores cats.

That is so well said. Dogs are hard work and require a lot of your time and effort - but are very rewarding in that they so blindly love you, you can go out with them and run around and do cool stuff.

Cats require more effort to understand their ways and their natures, and you must accept them for what they are. This, I think, is harder for a lot of guys who want instant gratification for their efforts with an animal.

Having said that, I know a lot of men who adore cats, and think they are wonderful creatures - which they are!!

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vast majority of men I've known haven't been animal-lovers in general, not just cats. Some of them liked dogs, but for the most part, none of them really had much of an interest in animals. I just don't think it's in most men's DNA to want to care for something they didn't have a part in creating, where as women are more apt to take in and care for any species of baby--and animals are usually considered babies.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My hubby is friendly to strange cats and loves ours. It's dogs (little dogs make an exception) he dislikes, due to a very scary and painful childhood incident. Come to think of it, I don't know any men who hate cats, but I've sure heard of a lot of them.

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always thought my DH was rather blase' about cats, but since we found Ginger not a word has ever been spoken in protest of vet bills and most days she gets more smooches and cuddles than I do!