Love your Household Pet Cat- You Can Make Him A Show Cat

lynneanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TICA allows you to show your cat in the household pet category. Your cat doesn't have to be any breed, it can be declawed, spayed or neutered as long as it is at least 4 months old! Look for a cat show near you. If you live in the US there will be one every few months at least and in every state. They will not use the term “moggie" . That is British. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moggie is coloquial.  Domestics are shown under GCCF in the UK as well and are called Household Pets in the schedule.  Suspect they can be shown in CFA as well.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep and in TICA you can show Household Pets that are one-eyed or three-legged too!
Household Pets over 8 months have to be spayed / neutered. Kittens 4 months up to a day before 8 months can either be s/n or not.

What I like in TICA is the Household Pets can earn all the same sort of levels of titles and annual awards as the pedigreed cats. They keep track of them in the standings. The top HHP adult and top HHP Kitten each get a magazine cover & story in the TICA Trend.
I like that the HHPs get a lot of respect in TICA.
A friend of mine has a kitten that was dumped on her farm, very pretty black & white longhair, very friendly. She showed him as a HHP and he is sure to be an International Winner. ( He's number 2 in Household Pet Kittens the last time I looked. )
She also has a black and white shorthair adopted from a shelter who is an IW and was the top HHP in our region last year.

LOL, Orientalslave you said the same thing i was going to,.,, "Moggy" is originally a British colloquialism but at GCCF shows I'm pretty sure they don't officially call it the Moggy Class, lol.

And some people in USA do use the word "moggy" . I've been gradually hearing it more often over I guess the past 10 or 15 yrs. . I suppose maybe it spread due to the international nature of the Internet, and is being picked up since it's a cute term and it's sure quicker than saying "domestic shorthair or domestic longhair".

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can be shown at some CFA shows. So anyone interested in showing a HHP in CFA should look at show schedule, see if a show mentions HHPs or call the show manager or entry clerk.
In CFA the HHPs can't be declawed. and I think they can't be missing an eye or something like is allowed in TICA.
Also, at least so far, CFA doesn't keep track of their points and they don't earn official CFA titles. I have heard some regions of CFA are much friendlier to HHPs than others, some regions I think do individually keep track of their HHP standings and give out some kind of awards of their own.

The U.S. also has a smaller association ACFA that also has HHPs at at least some shows.

So there are lots of opportunities.
We're often suggesting to people who post photos here that their cats might do well showing in HHPs. In fact we were just talking about it in another thread.. I'm still gleefully imagining 6 judges and a genetics instructor gathered around that cat Mojo trying to agree on his color/pattern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynneanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to here of everyone's experience with showing their pets! I knew moggy was slang I just wanted to let new people know they wouldn't hear that term at their local show LOL. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
CFA does have a Household Pet category. Kittens must be at least 4 months old, and any cat over 8 months must be spayed or neutered. Declawed cats are not allowed, but any other disability is acceptable. That includes one eye, missing leg, broken tail, etc. Also, any registered purebred cat who has a disqualifying feature in its own breed may be shown as an HHP.

There is an ongoing discussion about HHP awards on the national level, but for now the award system is controlled on a regional level. Within the region each club that sponsors a show makes the determination whether or not to include HHPs. I'm fortunate that I'm in a region where HHPs are popular (with most people).

In fact, Shareena, my very first kitty, is in 9th place in the region right now. As long as I get her to the last 2 shows she'll stay in the top 10 and get a regional award. :clap:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on Shareena's success, Goldycat! I'm glad you're in a CFA region where they do RWs for HHPs. and thanks for clarifying the rules: it's great to hear do allow the HHPs with 3 legs , one eye, etc.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GCCF now has a Pedigree Pet class and any pedigree can be shown in it.  However once they are shown as pedigree pet they aren't meant to be shown in the pedigree section though since they are entered under their pet name I have no idea how that can be policed.  It's also hard to police that female cats are neutered, unless they happen to be calling!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this YouTube clip of a household pet division of a cat show. You might find it interesting. :)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]