Love bites?

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My formerly feral boy Marlow will come up behind me and bite my ankles while I am scooping his breakfast out of the food jar. Little nibbles, almost ticklish. I like it. 

He has for a long time come to "his stool" for a good brushing. Lately he has been gripping my jeans and giving head butts during the brushing. Almost as if he is trying to give directions. Sound plausible?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could be, my Flash does something similar and will grip hold of whatever is around so you brush where she wants you to, quite amusing I think.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are a lucky person.  Love bites (nips) and head butts are the way colony members greet each other. Marlowe has accepted you as a member of his family.  Enjoy them and wallow in the knowledge that you are now officially a cat.

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww sweet.

Keef used to give love nips. A lot. I don't know how the girls could appreciate it because he had very sharp teeth and it was rather painful, but Tohee always got this dreamy look on her face.
Human skin didn't hold up so well, but the few times we tried to tell him "no" he got this hurt feelings look that made us feel like utter cads (Persian mixes can have the most expressive faces!) so we gave up and just let him go for it. I've never known any other cat that nipped that way, though, so it's interesting to me that this is a well-understood behavior.

Last edited:

deborah julian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is sweet. Our cat Sammy gives us love bites-gentle little nips that don't really hurt very much. He was rescued from animal control and loves having a home where people are crazy about him. Since I'd never seen another cat do this so I wondered if he was trying to mimic the kisses I give him. But from reading the other posts it sounds like it is cat behavior.

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Gracie gives me love bites too! She only does it when she wants to play or to be petted. She uses her paws to hold my arms or legs to give me little playful nips. I kinda like it because it reminds me of when she was a kitten and would give little nips all the time.