Love bites- love them or hate them?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rescued Sophie when she was six weeks old and abandoned by her mother.

She was a super teethy kitten and continues to be. She has never broken the skin our even hurt me with he r love bites and over time I've come to understand them.

A nip on the head when I'm resting means 'time to play'
A nip on the finger when I'm petting her means 'tagging out for a minute'
A nip on the ankles when I get home means 'you were gone forever! I never thought you were coming home'

I personally like her little way of communicating.

How about the rest of you?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Chula has just started with the love bites.  At night, she likes to snuggle up to me in bed.  This is the signal to start giving her scritches and pets and telling her how wonderful she is.  If I stop before she is ready to go to sleep, she nuzzles me with her nose.  If this doesn't work, she licks me.  If I'm still not back on the job, she gives me the softest little love bite imaginable.  At this point, I put down the book or laptop and recommence loving time until she is content and drops off to sleep. It's the sweetest thing, how reluctant she is to actually use teeth but how determined she is, nonetheless, to get her way!   

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a neutered female who does the same. Only she nips my bare ankles when I'm doing something else. I's her message for "time for love"

I love it!!!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't have hands like humans do. Their mouths have to do double duty.

As long as a cat uses its mouth to play in comparison to the way a human child would use their hands to play, it's okay with me. It's not the "what." It's the "how."

My policy is "No Hurting," regardless of the means.